2 weeks in Mauritius: what to do and see?
That’s it, you took your plane tickets to visit Mauritius ? You plan to stay there for two weeks? What luck !
The Mauritius is a small country, very rich culturally and perfect vantage point for a holiday in “relaxation” mode . It is also full of many natural wonders not to be missed. To help you plan your trip, I have developed for you the ultimate itinerary to visit Mauritius in 2 weeks .
With its postcard decorations, Mauritius will put your eyes on it. From lazing on the beaches of Bellemareor Peyrebère to nautical activities on the coast of Flic en Flac , through the discovery of the capital Port Louis , the ascent of Morne and an excursion to Rodrigues Island , this trip ad particularly fulfilled.
Discover immediately the itinerary that I propose to follow. For each stage of this stay of 14, 15 or 16 days in Mauritius , find also our selection of the best accommodation and all the tips and good plans to make the most of your holidays!
So, what to do and see in Mauritius in 2 weeks?
Step 1: South – Mahébourg / Ferney Valley / Le Morne / Chamarel (3 days)
I propose to start your 2-week tour in Mauritius by discovering the south of the island . It is in this region that you will land on the day of your arrival at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport near Mahébourg.
Southern Mauritius is one of the most unspoiled parts of the island , with many natural spaces almost intact. You will discover beautiful landscapes of forest, mountain, natural valleys but also beaches and a blue sea.
To start gently, I recommend, after depositing your luggage, to stay in the southeast and spend your first day in the region of Mahébourg. Start this 15-day trip with a little tour in Mahébourg, the emblematic city ofthe South of Mauritius which is, it deserves to be specified, the first city built on the island and former capital.
Pretty little coastal town steeped in history, Mahébourg is welcoming and perfect to discover the daily lifeof Mauritians. I adored the typical Creole houses , the authentic shops, the waterfront and the picturesque alleys.
You will be able to take advantage of your visit to visit the biscuit factory Rault which manufactures the traditional Mauritian biscuits with cassava . The covered market is also very nice, with lots of fruits, vegetables and local spices to discover.
Then go to Blue Bay , just a few kilometers away, to end the day on the beach, relax and swim. Why not also opt for a “glassbottom” (glass-bottomed boat) tour through which you will observe the seabed under your feet?
If you have time, I also recommend the boat trip to Île aux Aigrettes , a bird sanctuary worth a visit (departure is from Pointe Jérôme).
For your second day in Mauritius , I suggest you continue the discovery of the southeast by spending the morning in the Valley of Ferney. This excursion is one of the must do during a 2 week stay in Mauritius.
The Ferney Valley, a few kilometers north of Mahebourg, is a nature reserve of more than 200 hectarescomposed of tropical forest and hilly meadows. That’s wonderful! The entrance costs about 8 euros (325 rs) and you will easily spend 2 to 3 hours walking quietly while enjoying the many panoramas on the bay of Mahébourg.
You also have the opportunity to go for a ride in 4 × 4 , which allows to go a little deeper in the valley. Last thing, plan good walking shoes, enough to protect you from the sun and also mosquitoes (it’s really essential).
The access to the reserve of the Valley of Ferney is made since the old sugar factory of Ferney , between the communes of Mahébourg and Old Grand Port. If you have not rented a car, you will have to take a taxi to Mahébourg to get there.
Before going on a shuttle bus to the start of the tour, do not forget to visit the tiny coffee museumlocated near the reception.
In the late morning, then take the road towards the south-west coast. The rest of the program takes place in the beautiful region of Morne Brabant. If you travel by bus, the trip will take you between 2:30 and 3am ( against about 1 hour by car) .
By bus, you must:
- Take the first bus from Mahébourg to Souillac
- A second from Souillac to Cape Bay
- And the 3rd bus from Cape Bay to Morne .
To plan your bus journeys, consult this site directly.
Le Morne is one of the most emblematic mountains of the island , listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Siteand located on the coast. She is really at the edge of the water and dominates the beach of the same name.
I propose you to spend the rest of the day on the beach of Morne , one of the most beautiful beaches of Mauritius. It is very quiet on weekdays , but much more crowded on weekends (like virtually all beaches in Mauritius).
On the program: laze on the warm sand admiring the landscape, swim in the Indian Ocean , water activities and walk in the vicinity if you wish.
The next morning, I recommend you to tackle the ascent of the mountain Morne . You can do this trek independently, but I advise you to take a guide . They are very friendly and you will learn a lot about the region! They will also help you find and secure you, the trails being in some very steep places .
The ascent of the last meters to the summit is quite perilous, I do not recommend it to children or people prone to vertigo. If you have the chance to reach the summit of Morne, the landscape up there is breathtaking! The colors are beautiful and it’s just magic!
It is also one of the excursions that I preferred to do during my 2 weeks vacation in Mauritius. The full hike will take you about 3 to 4 hours (it’s 6 km round trip).
For your third day on site, I propose this time to go to Chamarel, near Le Morne , just a few minutes by bus or taxi from the beach. Chamarel is one of the most touristic sites of the island because it is one of the main natural curiosities of Mauritius: the Land of 7 colors.
Admission is not free (we paid 125 rs per person, about 3 euros). On arriving, take the dirt road that leads to the Chamarel waterfall. You will discover then a pretty point of view on the waterfall below. If you feel like it, you can go down to see it more closely and even swim there.
Then continue to follow the path, you will arrive in front of a vast clearing, and this is where the point of interest of the site is. You will find yourself in front of a unique landscape, composed of dunes of ocher earth whose colors vary from red orange to purple, through yellow and brown. The gradient that form these colors is natural and really offers a special show .
A few years ago, it was possible to walk on the earth of 7 colors and even to pick a sample. But for the sake of preserving the site, access is now forbidden. I think it’s a good thing, with all the visitors who pass by, there would not be much left of the land of 7 colors today! Allow about 1 hour to 1:30 of visit.
Always in Chamarel , at the exit of the site you will be able to visit Rhumerie . Here you will learn how to make local rum, and you will even be entitled to a tasting session. La Rhumerie also has a restaurant and a shop.
Just next to the entrance to the Chamarel site, you can also see the “Curious Corner”, the museum of optical illusions. It may, at first sight not tempt you, but I assure you that it is very surprising, funny and playful. We really have a good time. The visit lasts approximately 1h30 and is suitable for all ages. What end the morning in excellent mood.
After a lunch in one of the small typical restaurants of the village of Chamarel, I propose to spend the afternoon hiking in the Black River Gorges National Park, located a few minutes by car or bus to the west of Chamarel. It is the largest natural park on the island, with its 6754 hectares.
On the program: a beautiful excursion in the heart of the rainforest. This is an opportunity to discover lush vegetation, local wildlife, rivers and waterfalls.
I advise you to take a guide not to get lost and to know everything about the history of the park, local plants and endemic animals that you can observe during the hike (including the famous Pink Pigeon!).
The guided hike will take you about 4 hours. If you prefer to go for a walk alone, remember to take the bearings and choose your route in advance because there are many different trails.
Step 2: the west coast – Flic en Flac / Tamarin (2 days)
The second leg of this 2 week itinerary in Mauritius takes you this time to the West Coast for 2 days.
Your first destination is Flic-en-Flac, the tourist town of the West, with a large and beautiful white sand beach bordered by many casuarinas.
On the agenda for this day in Flic-en-Flac :
- sunbath on the white sand or rest under the filaos
- swimming and snorkeling to observe the many colored fish (observable very close to the edge)
- tasting snacks and fresh fruits sold by the beach merchants (I recommend: the excellent “Roti Aka” located at the beginning of the beach, among the first trailers).
- scuba diving with one of the diving clubs of the city (I advise you to book, it’s always better)
- boat tour
The next day, stay in the West and join Tamarin Falls , also called the hike of the 7 Cascades, one of the most beautiful walks to do on the island. The site is entirely public and therefore free.
You have the choice between a walk of 3 hours , with the circuit of the first 4 waterfalls, and the full circuitwhich will take you easily the whole day . I advise you to devote all day to the ride, because there is really a lot to see and the goal is to relax, discover the beautiful landscapes without hurry.
In the program of the day:
- discovery of waterfalls and beautiful natural landscapes of the site
- swimming in the invigorating waters of the waterfalls
- picnic in the shade of trees
- observation of the local flora and fauna
You can choose to hike independently or with a guide.
Step 3: The North-West: Port Louis / Grapefruit (1 day)
For the third stage of this 14-15 day road trip to Mauritius , discover the capital Port-Louis , located in the North-West of the island. Far from natural landscapes and paradisiacal beaches, you will find yourself at the heart of the tumult of local daily life. In the morning, go to Port Louis for a half-day visit.
Things to do and see in Port Louis:
- The covered market on Queen Street and its countless stalls of fruits, vegetables, spices and other local products. You can also enjoy snacks and buy souvenirs (do not hesitate to haggle for bargains!).
- The Caudan Waterfront , an outdoor shopping center located on the seafront, the oldest in Mauritius. It is very nice, with pretty alleys, shops, restaurants, trailers of street vendors. Have a look at the trailer of Patrick and Rosie Latulipe, who sells products made exclusively with cassava and it was my favorite, I strongly advise you to taste it! There are also views of the sea, a cinema and even a museum (the Blue Penny, very interesting on the history of Mauritius). The weekend is very lively, there are often musical shows in the evening.
After a lunch on the terrace at the water’s edge in Caudan, take a bus, car or taxi to Pamplemousses Botanical Garden, just 20 minutes from Port Louis.
This botanical garden of 37 hectares was created in the 18th century by a French botanist. It houses a rich collection of plants, not only local but also from many countries of the world. The entrance fees are 8 euros per adult and 5 euros per child.
The walk in the garden is nice and refreshing, especially after spending the morning in the sweltering heat of Port Louis. The trails are well laid out and you can discover impressive plants such as huge baobabs, giant water lilies, palm trees of all sizes and shapes, aromatic plants, tropical fruit trees …
The visit can be autonomous or guided . The guides are very friendly and also very loquacious! If you want a leisurely stroll among the flora, choose the self -guided tour because the explanations of the guides really ask for concentration. If you want to learn as much as possible about the history of the garden and its collection, the guided tour is very complete and will take you 1 to 2 hours.
Step 4: the North – Grand Bay / Peyrebère / Trou aux Biches / Cap Malheureux (2 days)
It’s been almost a week since you are in Mauritius, and it’s time to go to the fourth stage of your stay! You will now go to discover the North of the island.
Leave in the morning towards Grand Baie. By bus, you can easily get there in 20 minutes from Port Loui by taking an express bus to the bus station.
Arrived at Grand Bay, the first seaside resort of the island, you will immediately be immersed in a “relax” atmosphere, summer and lively. Grand Baie is a very touristy coastal town , with a beautiful public beach , beautiful villas, numerous street vendors, restaurants, bars, clubs and a shopping avenue (Sunset Boulevard).
After a morning spent in Grand Bay, take the road to discover the beach of Peyrébère, just 10 kilometers. It is a pretty little beach that promises a relaxing afternoon between rest, sunbathing, swimming and water activities. I advise you to stay until sunset, to admire from the sea or while being placed on the hot sand, to end the day in beauty.
The next morning, I suggest you discover another of the most beautiful beaches to see in Mauritius (yes, we come mostly to Mauritius for its beaches!): That of Trou aux Biches on the northwest coast . Here the atmosphere is very calm, and the landscape worthy of a postcard with its palm trees, its bougainvilleas, its white sand and its translucent waters.
On this day’s program in Trou aux Biches:
- lazing on the hot sand
- snorkeling and / or diving in the lagoon along the coral reef
- picnic on the beach
- water activities offered by the surrounding hotels: sailing, water skiing, parasailing
- tasting bananas flambées mauriciennes (a delight!)
In the middle of the afternoon, take the road again to go to Cap Malheureux, on the northern tip of the island . The beach of Cap Malheureux is recognizable by all thanks to its red church which creates a superb contrast with the green of the surrounding vegetation and the azure blue of the ocean.
This small beach and its church represent for me one of the most charming and authentic places of Mauritius. It is usually very quiet and peaceful, almost never crowded and you can relax and watch the sunset.
If you have time, I also recommend the boat trip to the Flat Island , which can be seen on the horizon from the beach of Cap Malheureux.
Step 5: The tea route (1 day)
We are already at the fifth leg of this two-week itinerary in Mauritius . Today, discover tea making in Mauritius.
This gastronomic and cultural route is called the Tea Route and must be booked in advance because it takes you, thanks to a guide and a driver, to several places of the island.
The Tea Route is divided into 3 stages and starts at the Domaine des Aubineaux, near the town of Curepipe . This estate is an old colonial house built in 1872. You can visit a distillery, a tea room, gardensand old stables.
The second phase of the route then takes you to Bois Chéri, to discover the tea plantations of the island . You will also visit the tea factory to understand the different stages of production of this famous beverage. There is also the tea museum to see, then you end the visit by tasting different teas in a cottage with panoramic views of the southern region of the island.
The third and last stage of the Tea Route will introduce you to another colonial mansion dating back to 1819, transformed into a restaurant . You will visit the sugar factory, the distillery of rum and also the “House of Vanilla” , where is produced the vanilla of Mauritius, typical perfume added to the local tea. You will then be offered a typical Mauritian meal to end the day.
Allow about 55 euros per adult (with meals included) and 29 euros per child over 5 years for this day of guided tour (about 5 to 7 hours of visit, including travel time between different sites).
Step 6: the East Coast – Belle Mare / Deer Island / Waterbows National Park (2 days)
For this sixth stage, I propose to devote the next two days of your 2-week vacation to Mauritius to discover the East Coast.
With its sublime expanses of white sand along the country’s largest lagoons , its lush nature and its luxury hotels, it is one of the most beautiful regions of Mauritius.
Your first destination is Belle Mare and its dream beach that stretches over 10 kilometers! Here you can rest, picnic, snorkel, dive and other water activities offered by the surrounding hotels.
In the late morning, head to the beach of Trou d’Eau Douce , a few kilometers south of Belle Mare. From this beautiful beach, you can take a boat to Ile aux Cerfs , a small paradise island off the coast. You can spend a half-day relaxing for a walk, swim or test the sports and water activities offered on site.
The island also has several shops and restaurants . With its deserted island look (white sand beach, palm trees, filao …), Ile aux Cerfs is actually very (very) touristy. I was a little disappointed by the rather “artificial” side of the island with all its activities and amenities everywhere, but the place is still worth seeing because the scenery is beautiful and the boat trip in the blue lagoon turquoise is just magic.
The next morning, stay in the East and follow the coast north towards Bras d’Eau National Park . It is a forest nature reserve of 500 hectares that I strongly advise you to visit. It is very quiet, uncrowded and we plunge really immersed in nature.
If you arrive early in the morning, you will have the chance to see and hear local endemic birds such as Gray White Eye, Coq des Bois or Kestrel. You can also see monkeys, bats and wild boars.
Regarding the flora, the park is home to interesting species such as white eucalyptus and mahogany , which are sometimes more than 40 meters high. During the walk, you will also discover the ruins of an old sugar refinery and a lime kiln, an old railway line, and several ponds.
Warning ! You are in the rainforest, do not forget your mosquito lotion, at the risk of having a very bad time …
Step 7: Rodrigues (3 days)
For the last three days of your tour of 14, 15 or 16 days in Mauritius , I recommend an excursion to Rodrigues , a small Mauritian island located about 600 kilometers east of Mauritius. Go to the airport and take a flight to Rodrigues (about 1h30 flight).
Rodrigues is a very small island, very peaceful and ideal to relax . Many Mauritians go there a weekend from time to time to relax and rest. Far from the tumult of cities and beaches of the Big Island, your short stay in Rodrigues will be punctuated by calm and nature , all in a relaxed atmosphere.
Here, no mass tourism and no big hotels, which means a much richer and unspoiled nature and lagoon, and accommodation in bed and breakfast or guesthouse.
Things to do and see during these 3 days in Rodrigues:
- Discover the sublime beaches of the east of the island , between Pointe Coton and Port Sud-Est . Small U-shaped beaches, long beaches lined with filaos, small hidden coves, all bordered by azure and translucent sea: you’ll have plenty to catch your eyes. In winter, the beaches are more or less deserted, which adds even more charm to the places.
- Admire the view from the highest peak in Rodrigues, Mount Limon (393 meters above sea level). Climbing Mount Limon is very easy and takes only a few minutes. You can see a beautiful sunset.
- Visit the capital Port Mathurin, a quiet little town with colorful houses. Stroll through the alleys and do not miss the market to take a souvenir or taste the local specialties.
- Take a boat trip to Hermitage Island and Cats Island. These two tiny islands are beautiful and well preserved.
- Observe the marine fauna and flora in the lagoon : diving and snorkeling in Rodrigues are even more intense than in Mauritius, thanks to the seabed much richer and preserved.
- Go on an excursion to the Cocos Island: one of the treasures of Rodrigues. You can spend a day or half day on Cocos Island, home to many species of birds. From the village of Pointe Diamble to the West, go on a pirogue boat for a 1h30 drive. Once on the island, you can visit it all along (it is 1 km long and 250 meters wide only), relax on the white sand or go in search of the many birds that populate the island .
If you do not have 15 days in Mauritius but 14 or 16 days depending on your flights, I advise you:
- to spend only 2 days on Rodrigues for a stay of 14 days
- to add an extra day of relaxation on Rodrigues for a 16-day trip to Mauritius and Rodrigues
Where to sleep in Mauritius
As I told you, Mauritius is a tiny country!
2 options are available to you to visit the island:
- Book a single hotel for the duration of your stay. The advantage is not having to worry about making and unpacking.
- Choose to stay in 3 or 4 different locations depending on the steps we present you in this 2 week itinerary. Thus, you will minimize the time spent on the road each day. Because, even if it is very small, it is necessary to pay attention to the distances and the possible traffic jams. There are obviously no highways!
Whatever option you choose, I recommend you spend your first night in Mahébourg anyway . This will allow you to recover more easily from flight fatigue and jet lag. In addition, it is the most convenient to visit the Ferney Valley, the program of the day after. You can also spend the last night to be close to the airport in case of early departure.
Here are the best hotels for each stage , depending on your budget. I recommend you book now , because the best rooms go very fast! (and in case of change, the cancellation is anyway often free)
Staying in Mahébourg: first and last night
- Sacha Resorts : Located in Mahébourg, 4 km from the airport. Modern and comfortable double room from 25 € per night. The most: the warm welcome, the pool, the provision of the kitchen to make food.
- La Caze Roche guest house: Located 9 km from the airport. Spacious and very comfortable double room from 70 € per night, breakfast included. The most: excellent breakfast and very rich, the kindness of the owner and good advice, the geographical location to go to the sea on foot and the island of egrets.
- Holiday Inn Mauritius Mon Trésor: Conveniently located right next to the airport. Double room design and light from 160 € per night, breakfast included. The most: the comfort of the rooms, the services offered like the free shuttle to and from the airport, the quality of the breakfast. The best choice for an upscale stay!
To stay in the South of Mauritius: Steps 1 and 2
- Arkenstone Studios : Located near Chamarel and Le Morne mountain. Modern studio, spacious, bright, fully equipped with kitchen from 50 € per night only! Pros: the location to visit the Land of 7 colors and climb the Grand Morne, free private parking, the view from the balcony of the studios, the friendliness and advice of the host, the quiet neighborhood. The best choice in the South for a stay without breaking the bank in Mauritius!
- The River House : Located in Tamarin next to the Black River Gorges National Park and Flic-en-Flac. Spacious double room with terrace and beautiful river views from 110 € per night, breakfast included. Goodies: quiet location, beautiful surroundings with garden and river, beach 5 minutes walk, excellent breakfast, swimming pool. Our favorite for its report benefits / prices really exceptional!
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa : Located in Tamarin Bay, right on the beach. Bright and spacious suite, tastefully decorated from 350 € per night, breakfast included. The most: the magnificent view from the rooms, the services offered, the lovely staff, the delicious food. Recommended for a luxury stay in Mauritius!
To stay in the North of Mauritius: Steps 3, 4 and 5
- Residence Oblue : Located in Peyrebere. Brand new, modern and bright apartment with kitchen equipped from 50 € per night. Most: the situation, free private parking, swimming pool, roof top. The best choice in the North for a stay without breaking the bank in Mauritius!
- Coral Blue Private Villas by Lov : Located between Grand Bay and Peyrebere. Villa with private pool, ultra modern, huge (180m²) and super well equipped from 145 € per night, breakfast 12 €. The most: the beauty of the luxurious villas, the private pool, the geographical situation, the comfort. A truly exceptional place in the North of Mauritius!
- Seapoint Boutique Hotel : Located 4 km from Grand Baie. Luxurious and magnificent double room from 340 € per night, breakfast included. Most: the beautiful view from the rooms on the garden and the sea, the beautiful outdoor areas, the excellent breakfast, the proximity of the beach, the attentions of the staff, the quality of the service. The best choice for a luxury stay!
To stay in Eastern Mauritius: Step 6
- Studio Manguillier: Located in Trou d’Eau Douce 2 steps from the beach. Very spacious and well equipped apartment from only 50 € per night and good extra point breakfast is even included! The most: the view, the terrace, the rich breakfast, the perfect location to visit the deer island. Very good price / performance ratio.
- Horisun: Located in Belle Mare, a 10-minute walk from the beach. Double room with balcony and beautiful view from 110 € per night, breakfast included. The most: the quiet location, exceptional breakfast, very nice staff, the Zen atmosphere, bicycles available to go to the beach. It’s our heart stroke for its benefit / price ratio!
- The Residence Mauritius: Located in Belle Mare. Elegant and super spacious double room from 200 € per night, breakfast included. What’s more: the excellent buffet breakfast, the friendliness of the staff, the superb view, the swimming pool, the “feet in the water” location! An excellent choice to have fun in Mauritius.
Staying at Rodrigues Island: Step 7
- B & B Le Reposoir Tourist Residence: Located in La Ferme. Spacious and bright double room from 30 € per night, breakfast at 4 €. The most: the location in the heart of nature, warm and friendly, free bike rental, super convenient to visit the island.
- Le Tigraviers Bed and breakfast: Located in Graviers, a 3-minute walk from the beach. Modern and spacious double room from 60 € per night, breakfast included. Most: very good meals and homemade breakfast, friendly staff, calm and tranquility, location. This is our heart stroke for its benefit / price ratio.
- Gombrani Lodge: Located at Eau Vanée. Double room with neat decoration from 110 € per night, breakfast included. Pluses: available hosts, panoramic views of the lagoon, delicious breakfast and dinners, pool overlooking the ocean. The perfect and dreamed place to stay on Rodrigues Island!