5 days in Mauritius: what to do and see?
Are you planning to spend a short stay in Mauritius on your next trip? Five days is enough time to have a good overview of the island.
To help you plan your trip, I share here with you the best itinerary to visit Mauritius in 5 days.
Following this circuit will allow you to save time on the organization and make the most of this little getaway!
I also give you my selection of the best hotels in each location. But know that the island is really small so, wherever you decide to stay, you will have easy access to all the sites by car.
In five days you will of course not be able to visit the country in depth but you will have plenty of time to enjoy the most beautiful beaches and see the must-see places in Mauritius.
So, ready to spend 5 dream days in Mauritius? Let yourself be guided!
Day 1: The Northern beaches
You have just landed and you are full of enthusiasm to discover Mauritius!
Before we start, I highly recommend renting a car when you arrive. The buses serve the island very well but the journeys are endless… Renting a car in Mauritius will allow you to move from one point to another easily and to optimize your time.
Once you have collected your car and left your luggage at the hotel, take the road towards the north of the island. The North coast is perfect for getting into the bath as it is one of the most attractive and lively corners.
What I advise you for this first day is to discover the beaches of the North. The successive beaches of Grand Baie, Peyrébère and Cap Malheureux are magnificent. Have you dreamed of white sand, sun and coconut palms? You will be served! The beaches of Mont Choisy and Trou aux Biches, a few kilometers away, are also worth a look.
Small anthology of things to do in the North of Mauritius:
- admire the pretty colorful boats on Grand Baie beach;
- take a walk on Sunset Boulevard in Grand Baie;
- swim in Peyrébère and/or Trou-aux-Biches;
- taste fresh fruit and snacks offered by street vendors;
- admire the sunset on the beach of Cap Malheureux;
- have a drink and/or dine by the sea.
In terms of restaurants, there are several that I really like in the North. I particularly recommend Le Poivrier in Grand Baie where you can enjoy delicious cuisine in a bucolic setting. The outdoor room is set in a small tropical garden. The best for a successful first evening!
Accommodation in the north of Mauritius
- Residence Peramal : a very pretty apart-hotel with sea view, a few steps from the public beach of Grand Baie. You will stay in a magnificent setting, have breakfast on the terrace facing the ocean and enjoy fully equipped accommodation. From €50 per night for 2 people. A very good choice for an affordable stay in Mauritius.
- Cosi Dolce : villa with swimming pool in Peyrébère, 700m from the beach, with equipped kitchen and large terrace where breakfast is served each morning. Presence of a bar, a garden and a private outdoor swimming pool. Very friendly staff and ideal location. From €80 per night for 5 people (2 bedrooms with 2 double beds and an extra bed).
- Océan V Hôtel : 4-star hotel in Peyrébère, 50m from the beach. It has an infinity pool, gym, jacuzzi and restaurant. Sleep in a comfortable double room from €150 per night, breakfast included.
- Sakoa Boutik Hotel : superb little hotel in Trou-aux-Biches, located on the beach in a dream setting. White sand beach and swimming pool, bar, restaurant and spa. Caring staff and comfortable room. Double room from €230 per night. I recommend it without hesitation for a high-end stay in Mauritius.
- LUX* Grand Baie Resort & Residences : it is THE holiday hotel in the north, luxurious as you wish, ideal for those who want to do things big! Double room from €450 per night (breakfast extra at €25)
Day 2: Flic en Flac and the Black River Gorges Park
After a good night’s sleep, I now invite you to discover the west coast of Mauritius. The town of Flic en Flac is the nerve center, with its magnificent beach which stretches over 8 km.
Flic en Flac beach is one of the most popular on the island. With its white sand and its translucent waters populated by multicolored fish, it is the ideal place to indulge in idleness and snorkelling. You will also find a host of diving centers in the surrounding area if you want to discover the seabed in a bottle.
Several small trailers offer snacks and fresh fruit to enjoy facing the sea. I recommend that you try the famous “Roti Aka” at the trailer of the same name which is located at the start of the beach.
“Roti” (also called “farata”) is a local specialty that resembles an Indian naan filled with different curries and sauces. You can eat them all over the island, but the Roti Aka from Flic en Flac are particularly delicious!
About 15 km from Flic en Flac is the Black River Gorges National Park which I recommend you visit as well. It is a nature reserve in the middle of the tropical forest. You can walk the trails to discover the Mauritian flora and fauna. Be careful, it climbs quite a bit!
On the course, you will have the opportunity to admire magnificent views of the coast and the ocean.
In order not to miss the most beautiful corners of the park, I recommend that you take a guide. There are many different trails and it’s much better to be accompanied for the first time. I advise you to book your guided tour in one click here: Book my guided tour now!
Between the beach and the natural park, you will easily have enough for the day. It’s up to you to see in which order to do them according to your desires . And if you like to go out in the evening, you can even spend the evening/night in Flic en Flac since there are many restaurants, pubs and nightclubs there.
Accommodation near Flic en Flac
- Lariad BnB : welcoming residence and very well located 5min walk from the beach of Flic en Flac. Stay in a comfortable double room from €50, breakfast included. The residence includes a lovely outdoor area with a tropical garden, 2 swimming pools and a terrace where breakfast is served. Ideal for an economical stay in Mauritius!
- Shanti Ghar Guest House : put your luggage in a superb guest house, very nicely decorated and well located less than 2km from the beach of Black River Tamarin. Free access to the outdoor swimming pool, the common garden lounge and the bar. Comfortable double room with balcony from €95/night.
- La Mariposa Mauritius : hotel located on the coast at Black River in a quiet environment, just 10km from Chamarel and the 7-colored earth. Superb view of Le Morne mountain. Room with double bed from €120/night, breakfast included. The establishment has its own private beach, a swimming pool and a pretty garden.
- Veranda Tamarin Hôte & Spa : a magnificent little hotel in the bay of Tamarin. Double room with balcony sea or mountain view for around 150€ per night. The property includes 2 restaurants, 2 swimming pools and a spa. Caring staff. A very good choice for an affordable luxurious stay in Mauritius!
- Sugar Beach A Sun Resort : splendid hotel located on the beach of Flic en Flac. For 390€/night minimum you stay in small independent and luxurious villas with a direct view of the ocean. The must for a luxury stay in the West of Mauritius.
Day 3: Grand Bassin and Chamarel
For this third day of your 5-day trip to Mauritius, head south-west. I propose here a short road-trip between different sites to see, among others, the sacred lake of Grand Bassin and the Earth of the 7 Colors of Chamarel.
Here is the itinerary that I propose for this condensed visit of the South-West :
1) Leave in the morning towards Grand Bassin (also called “ Ganga Talao ”): this sacred lake is a place of pilgrimage and prayer for Mauritian Hindus. The site is overlooked by two huge and impressive statues of the gods Shiva and Durga.
You can visit several temples, have a “tika” drawn on your forehead, enjoy the landscape and even rub shoulders with wild monkeys (very mischievous for some, be careful with your belongings )
2) Starting from Grand Bassin and heading south, you will pass through the small wild region of Plaine Champagne, famous for its dense forest and countless fruits. Many families come to pick Chinese guavas (a delicious sweet-tangy little fruit, if you have the opportunity to taste it!) in the middle of the year.
Following the main road, you will come across the Alexandra waterfall a little further . I advise you to stop (there is parking) to admire this impressive waterfall.
3) Around noon or early afternoon, you will arrive at the Earth of the 7 Colors of Chamarel : it is the great natural curiosity of the island that attracts all visitors. It is a preserved natural area made of multicolored volcanic earth. A feast for the eyes. The Earth of the 7 Colors is in a private domain and the entrance is paying.
4) On the same private site as the Earth of the 7 Colors is also the Ebony Forest nature reserve which I advise you to visit if you have 2 hours in front of you. On the program: walk in the middle of the native forest and breathtaking view of the whole valley from the Sublime Point.
5) And to end the day in style, nothing beats a guided tour of the Rhumerie de Chamarel, followed by a tasting of the best vintages (not recommended if you take the wheel right after of course ).
To enjoy a smooth and smooth day, I strongly recommend that you do this road trip with a guide. It’s much easier not to have to worry about the road, especially for a short stay where every minute counts (and it allows you to taste the different rums at the Rhumerie ).
To book your guided excursion (which is really super well organized), just click on the link below:
Book my excursion to Grand Bassin and Chamarel now!
Accommodation in the southwest of Mauritius
- La Vieille Cheminée : absolute comfort surrounded by nature: this is what this exceptional establishment offers you, located in Chamarel on the edge of an endemic forest, with a view of the mountain. You will stay in an independent chalet with a double bedroom, bathroom and equipped kitchen for 125€/night, breakfast (delicious) included. My favorite in the southwest of Mauritius!
- LUX Le Morne Resort : One of the most beautiful and grand hotels in the South-West, at the foot of Le Morne mountain. Spacious and tastefully decorated double room from €295 per night. The hotel has several swimming pools, restaurants and a spa. Direct access to the magnificent Le Morne beach.
- Hotel Chalets Chamarel : magnificent hotel in the heights of the village of Chamarel, with a breathtaking view of the mountain and the coast of Le Morne. Small independent and ultra-comfortable pavilions where you can stay for a minimum of €340 per night, breakfast and dinner included. The meals are homemade with fresh and local products. The best for a luxury-nature stay in the south of Mauritius!
Day 4: Belle Mare and boat trip to Ile aux Cerfs
Your 5-day itinerary in Mauritius continues, now heading to the east coast of the island!
On the program for this fourth day, I suggest several heavenly beaches and a boat cruise to Île aux Cerfs. Are you tempted? So let’s go.
Belle Mare beach is emblematic of the East of Mauritius. Impossible to miss with its 10 km of white sand. The shallow turquoise blue lagoon invites snorkelling and swimming-relaxation. It is a beach very popular with locals who come here in large numbers to camp on weekends.
Going down to the south, you will then come across the much wilder Palmar beach , before arriving in the picturesque village of Trou d’Eau Douce. Its small beach lined with villas is worthy of the most beautiful postcards!
From Trou d’Eau Douce you can take the boat to Île aux Cerfs, another must-see destination in Mauritius. Ile aux Cerfs is a small offshore island, uninhabited but very popular with tourists. What awaits you there? White sand, translucent lagoon and idleness galore.
Where to stay on the east coast of Mauritius?
- EvaZion : located in Grande Rivière Sud-Est in a quiet area of nature, 20 minutes from Belle Mare beach. Comfortable double room with refined decor from €80/night. Outdoor pool, restaurant, kayaks available and direct shuttle to Ile aux Cerfs. Super warm welcome and peaceful setting.
- Otentic Eco Tent Experience : Live an incredible experience by sleeping in a comfortable tent in the middle of nature, between river and ocean, in luxury camping mode. Tent that can accommodate 2 to 5 people from €130 per night. Lots of activities offered on site, swimming pool, delicious restaurant based on local products. My favorite for a rejuvenating stay in the East of Mauritius!
- Veranda Palmar Beach Hotel : magnificent hotel located on the edge of the lagoon in Belle Mare. Bright, spacious and cozy double room with balcony from € 175 /night, meal included. Access to the beach, swimming pool and spa.
- Le Touessrok : large luxury hotel on the seafront in Trou d’Eau Douce. Heavenly setting with swimming pools, restaurants and wellness center and even access to the hotel’s small private island! Double room at the top of comfort with balcony and sea view for 450€ /night, breakfast included. I recommend it if you want a luxury stay in Mauritius!
Day 5: Port-Louis
I suggest you end this 5-day circuit in Mauritius with a cultural visit. History to see something other than the beaches before leaving, if that tells you! I therefore recommend that you go to Port-Louis, the capital, for this last day . You will discover the colonial history of Mauritius through:
- Place d’Armes : it is opposite the Government Palace . The statue of Mahé Labourdonnais (French governor who founded the city in 1735) stands in its center.
- Fort Adelaide (or Citadel of Port-Louis) : built in 1834 by the English on the heights of the city, this fortress was used at the time as a base for launching cannons against the French.
- the Blue Penny Museum : a very interesting little museum dedicated to Mauritian political history and art.
Visiting Port-Louis also means immersing yourself in local life and experiencing the hustle and bustle of a bustling city (except on Sundays when everything is rather calm!). To fully experience all this, stroll freely through the streets and then go to the Central Market. This large covered market filled with colorful fruits, vegetables and spices will allow you to do some shopping.
Small warning: merchants can be very (too) insistent with tourists, so know how to say no if you don’t want to leave with 3 tons of goods under your arm
To finish this day and this stay quietly, then go to the Caudan Waterfront. This shopping center built on the seafront is the oldest on the island. It promises you a pleasant stroll and it’s an opportunity to have a snack (ice cream, fresh fruit, cassava pancakes and snacks of all kinds await you!).
At Le Caudan, don’t miss the Craft Market to discover local crafts and why not treat yourself to a little souvenir.
And if you wish, you can also dine at Le Caudan in one of the restaurants with a view of the port. On weekends, there are often concerts in the small square on the seafront which makes the experience even more fun!
Accommodation in Port Louis
Don’t think about finding a hotel in Port-Louis, the city is not at all suitable for sleeping there and nothing is planned for that. You can stay in the north or west for easy access.
Day 5: Mahébourg
When you spend only 5 days in Mauritius, you really have to make choices. If you have a preference for the coast and the beaches rather than the city, I suggest you visit Mahébourg and the South-East coast instead for your last day of travel.
Mahébourg is the first city built in Mauritius by settlers. You will surely notice it when you arrive: the atmosphere is different from the rest of the island. There reigns a really special atmosphere, much more “roots”, calm and quiet.
It is also one of my favorite corners in Mauritius, where I come to recharge my batteries when I want to take a breather and take a few days off.
Take the time to stop at the Mahébourg seafront which is truly magnificent, then head to Blue Bay, the neighboring village.
The public beach of Blue Bay is superb and the beach of Pointe d’Esny (a few kilometers away) is even more beautiful. Wilder and more intimate, it invites calm and is truly breathtakingly beautiful (my favorite beach on the island!).
Mauritius Travel Story:
In July 2020, Mauritius experienced the largest oil spill in its history with the grounding of the Wakashio, a Japanese tanker, off the South East coast. The entire coast, including the beaches of Blue Bay, Pointe d’Esny and the surrounding islets, were devastated by this huge oil spill.
The Mauritian people have been tremendous and have set up an incredible chain of solidarity. Thousands of little hands have worked for weeks cleaning the lagoon by hand and making sausages using sugar cane and hair.
These sausages were placed all around the lagoon and made it possible to contain the oil and absorb a large part of it. The beaches were thus saved by the Mauritian people.
When I go to spend a weekend in the Mahébourg region, it is impossible for me not to go to lunch at Karay Mario, a great restaurant where you can taste delicious Creole cuisine. And for the evening, it’s at L’Ajupa that I’m going to have a good time. This small snack with a Jamaican atmosphere is unique in Mauritius.
Accommodation near Mahébourg?
- Le Jardin de Beauvallon : charming little hotel located 10 minutes from the airport, in Mahébourg. Small individual bungalows for 2 people from €61 per night. Free access to the outdoor swimming pool and the tropical garden. The hotel also has a restaurant. I recommend it for an affordable and comfortable holiday in Mauritius!
- La Peninsula Bay Beach Resort & Spa : 200m from Blue Bay beach and 1km from Pointe d’Esny beach. Nice hotel with family room (1 double bed and 2 single beds) from €160 per night. Private beach, nautical activities and a heavenly setting.
- Ferney Nature Lodge : 10km from the airport, stay in an eco-lodge in the heart of the magnificent Ferney valley. The suites are superbly decorated, ultra comfortable, including a sleeping area with a double bed, a private bathroom and a terrace. All from €295 per night. Outdoor swimming pool and restaurant facing a sublime view of the valley. A big hit for me!
Your journey ends here! I hope this itinerary will allow you to spend a pleasant short stay in Mauritius and will make you want to come back.
Feel free to share your experience with me in the comments, or ask me questions if you have any.
Very important to know: in Mauritius we drive on the left!
If you are apprehensive about driving in Mauritius, which is understandable, then I have another solution for you: renting a car with driver!
You can define your 10-day itinerary in Mauritius with him and he will take you where you want, without you having to worry about the road.
Book your tour of Mauritius directly with driver-guide by clicking on the link below:
Book my driver-guide car now!
Are you going to Mauritius? Also to read
Discover all our articles on Mauritius: all our guides are listed here.
- 5 Days in Mauritius – The Best Itinerary for an Unforgettable Short Break
- 1 week in Mauritius – Follow our tips for a dream vacation!
- 10 days in Mauritius – Step by step tour + our advice for a 100% successful trip
- 2 weeks in Mauritius – Detailed steps and tips to prepare your vacation easily
- Flic en Flac: Top 12 visits and activities
- Grand Baie: the ultimate guide
- Bellem Mare: Top 11 places and activities
- Mahebourg: what to do and see?
- Morne Brabant: 11 things to do and see