A month in Canada: what to do and see?
Have you decided to visit Canada in a month?
To help you organize your stay, I have prepared a one-month Canada itinerary for you so that you don’t miss any of the unmissable places of interest in the east of the country.
Small note before starting: if you prefer to go to Canada for a month to visit the East and the West, I will explain how at the end of the article in the dedicated section.
I take you to discover Montreal, the province of Quebec, Gaspésie and Ontario with the famous cities of Toronto and Ottawa. And of course, several nature stops are planned to explore the magnificent national parks of Canada.
As usual, I also give you all my advice to organize your days as well as possible and a selection of the best accommodation for each stage, depending on your budget.
So, let’s start our 1 month Canada itinerary!
Day 1-2: Montreal
For this 1-month Canada itinerary, I suggest you land in Montreal. This is the most convenient way to drive around Eastern Canada in the form of a loop.
Arrived at the airport, you can collect your rental car.
Spend a quiet end of the day and a night in Montreal to recover from jet lag.
The next day, I suggest you visit a part of the city:
- Walk in the Old Montreal district and along the Old Port, along the river
- Climb to the Mont-Royal belvedere and stroll through the park
- Walk in the Mont-Royal district, one of the most typical neighborhoods with its houses with spiral staircases
- Dinner at La Banquise, which has made a specialty of the typical Quebec dish: poutine! It comes in all forms.
Spend a second night in Montreal.
Tips for your Canada itinerary:
To learn more about things to do in Montreal, do not hesitate to read my article: What to do in Montreal?
You will find ideas to easily add to your program, such as:
- A guided bus tour of the whole city – Duration 3h30. The best choice to see the whole city in a short time!
- Guided walking tour of Montreal – Duration: 4h
- A cruise on the St. Lawrence River
- A ride on Canada’s largest Ferris wheel, located in the Old Port.
If you choose to leave your rental car in the parking lot of your hotel, I advise you to use the STM website to plan your trips by public transport during your visit to Montreal.
Accommodation in Montreal
In Montreal, as in all tourist destinations, the best accommodations sell out very quickly. I therefore strongly recommend that you book your hotel in advance!
- M Montreal : Youth hostel located 5 minutes walk from the Berri Uquam metro station on Sainte Catherine Street. Bed in a modern and comfortable dormitory from €25 per night, breakfast included. Possibility also to sleep in a double room. The pluses: very welcoming staff, modern infrastructure, bar in the basement with shows on certain evenings. An excellent choice where to stay inexpensively in Montreal!
- Best Western Plus Hotel Montreal: Located in the entertainment district. Warm and spacious double room from 150€ per night. Most: the perfect location for visiting Montreal, cleanliness, comfortable beds.
- Le Dauphin Montreal Centre-Ville: Located 200 meters from the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal and 5 min walk from the Old Port. Double room from €170, breakfast included. Most: very well located, the size of the rooms, the large bed.
- Le Petit Hotel Montreal: Located in the historic center of Montreal. Room with real character with exposed stone and brick wall, from €250, breakfast included. Most: the service, the good breakfast, the charm of the hotel.
- Le St-Martin Hotel Centre-ville – Hotel Particulier: Located 50 m from rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest. Elegant and cozy double room from 290€. Most: the swimming pool with waterfall and water jets, the adorable staff, the location, the comfort. This is our recommendation for an upscale stay in Montreal!
- Hotel Birks Montreal: Located downtown, this 5* hotel offers superb tastefully decorated rooms starting at €500, breakfast at €19. Most: the perfect location, the architecture, the friendliness of the staff, the Spa. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Montreal!
Day 3: The Thousand Islands
To really start your one-month Canada itinerary, I suggest you go to the Thousand Islands, 3 hours by road from Montreal.
As their name suggests, the Thousand Islands are actually several islands (1865 in all), of varying sizes, inhabited or not, which are located on the St. Lawrence River and at the mouth of Lake Ontario.
To discover them, you can embark on a boat at the level of the towns of Rockport, Gananoque and Kingston. The outing lasts between 1 to 5 hours and takes place every day from May to October.
Accommodation in the Thousand Islands
- Howard Johnson Gananoque : Motel located 1.5 km from the cruise pier. Spacious and comfortable double room from €70 per night, breakfast included. Most: location, outdoor swimming pool, cleanliness, comfortable bedding, good breakfast, free parking. It is our favorite for its performance / price ratio!
- Comfort Inn & Suites Thousand Islands Harbor District : Located 5 minutes walk from the boat pier. Comfortable double room from €100 per night, breakfast included. Most: the indoor swimming pool, the free parking, the breakfast, the quality of the welcome, the geographical location.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites 1000 Islands : Located 2 km from the departure of the cruises. Modern and warm double room from €150 per night, breakfast included. Most: the indoor swimming pool, the sauna, the comfort of the rooms, the good breakfast, the calm.
Day 4-6: Toronto
The next 3 days of this month-long Canada itinerary will be dedicated to visiting Toronto and its surroundings.
Count 2h30 from the 1000 islands to go to Toronto.
Here are some sightseeing ideas for your first day:
- The Kensington Market district and its street art
- Chinatown. It is possible to visit Kensington and Chinatown as a guided tour. To book here.
- The Distillery district and its trendy shops and cafes. Possible to book your guided tour there.
- The St-Lawrence market where you can book a tour including tastings directly here!
- Ripley’s Aquarium. Tickets on sale here.
- The CN Tower whose panoramic elevator will take you 346 meters high in just 58 seconds! You can then tread the transparent glass floor and admire the 360° view.
Spend a first night in Toronto.
Second day in Toronto:
- Discovery of Casa Loma, a medieval castle from which you can admire a splendid view of the city. Tickets are on sale here!
- Visit the Royal Ontario Museum with its unique architecture and design. Entrance tickets available here.
For the afternoon, head to the Toronto Islands, which you can discover by bike (cars are prohibited there) or by boat.
Spend a second night in Toronto.
Tips for your Canada itinerary:
To visit Toronto, you can also buy the City Pass Toronto right here. Access to CN Tower, Royal Museum, Ripley’s Aquarium, Casa Loma + other attractions are included in it. Plus it saves you the queues.
Want to learn more about places to visit in Toronto? It’s in my in-depth article: What to do in Toronto?
On the third and last day towards Toronto, I recommend that you go discover Niagara Falls.
Impossible to visit Canada in a month without going there!
They are an hour and a half drive from Toronto.
There, you can of course take the cruise that takes you to the foot of the falls.
Finally, for a panoramic view of the falls, I recommend climbing to the top of the Skylon Tower. Tickets can be booked directly here!
The “Journey Behind The Falls” activity (click here to book your tickets) also allows you to reach an observation platform but this time located at the foot of the falls through the tunnels, 40 meters underground.
After your visit to the falls, hop back in your car to travel the Niagara Parkway to the village of Niagara-on-the-Lake. The landscapes are really beautiful and the village very picturesque.
Go back to sleep one last night in Toronto.
Accommodation in Toronto
It’s not so easy to find a hotel offering good value for money in Toronto. In order to help you, I have prepared a list of the best hotels according to your budget.
Last piece of advice: If the establishment that attracts you is available, book it immediately. Demand is very high in the city and the best accommodation is going (very) quickly!
- The Clarence Park : Hostel located 10 min walk from the CN Tower. Bed in dormitory from 35€ per night. The pluses: the location, the friendliness, the curtains for the beds in the dormitory, modern. An excellent choice for cheap accommodation in Toronto!
- Margie Townhome Suites: Guest house located 5 minutes walk from the Eaton Centre. Pleasant and cozy room from 110€. Most: location, calm, next to the metro.
- The Novotel Toronto Centre: located right next to St Lawrence Market. Contemporary and very spacious double room from 150€. Most: indoor pool, location, very good breakfast.
- One King West Hotel and Residence: located in Old Toronto, 5 min from St Lawrence Market. Modern, spacious and elegant suite with a superb view of the city from €190, breakfast €17. Most: in the city center, excellent bedding, the incredible view.
- The Omni King Edward Hotel : For anyone who wants to treat themselves to a little treat during your trip to Toronto. Upscale hotel located in the Financial District, steps from the Eaton Centre. Cozy and neatly decorated double room from €300, breakfast at €23. Most: the ideal location, the attentive staff, the decoration and the comfort of the rooms, excellent breakfast. To be preferred for an upscale stay in Toronto (or just one night to treat yourself as a couple!)
- Bisha Hotel Toronto: 5* hotel located just 500m from the CN Tower. The establishment offers superb rooms decorated by the design firm of the star Lenny Kravitz. From 390€. Most: the infinity pool on the roof with a view of the CN tower, the excellent restaurants of the hotel, the ideal location. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Toronto!
As you may have noticed, staying in the center of Toronto is still quite expensive, which is quite understandable because it is a large Canadian city that is very touristy.
If you want to save a little and don’t mind staying a little further from the center, hotels located near the Toronto airport (17km from downtown) generally offer lower rates.
You have for example:
- Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Airport
- Best Western Plus Travel Hotel Toronto Airport
- Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport
- Hampton Inn by Hilton Toronto Airport Corporate Centre
Day 7: Ottawa
For the new stage of this 1-month Canada itinerary, now reach Ottawa, a 4h15 drive away.
Did you know that the city is the capital of Canada? I’m sure that spontaneously you might have answered Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver.
After a morning on the road, here is the program I suggest for visiting Ottawa:
- Lunch at the Byward Market ending with a beaver tail, a traditional pastry
- Walk to Parliament Hill
- Visit to the Canadian Museum of History. Don’t hesitate to book your tickets in advance by clicking here!
- Stroll along the banks of the Rideau Canal
More details on Ottawa in my article: Visiting Ottawa.
Stay the night in Ottawa.
Accommodation in Ottawa
Ottawa may be the capital of Canada, but it’s still a small city. The offer for accommodation is therefore a little limited. I advise you to do it in advance to book accommodation from our selection and not to hesitate too long.
- HI Ottawa Jail Hostel : Hostel located in a restored former prison. You will therefore sleep in cells (improved I assure you!) Bed in dormitory from 30€, breakfast included. Most: the originality of the place, the excellent location, the good breakfast. An excellent choice for cheap accommodation in Ottawa!
- The Business Inn : Hotel located 1.3km from Parliament Hill. Studio very well equipped with a kitchen from 100€ per night, breakfast included. Most: the geographical location, the spacious rooms, the presence of a computer with printer in the rooms, the possibility of cooking. It is our favorite for its unbeatable price/performance ratio in Ottawa!
- Andaz Ottawa Byward Market-a concept by Hyatt : Located in the Byward Market area. Double room with modern and refined decoration from €190 per night, breakfast included. Most: the geographical location, the welcoming staff, the roof terrace, the very complete and varied buffet breakfast.
- Fairmont Château Laurier : 5* hotel (the only one in Ottawa) located a 10-minute walk from Parliament Hill. Spacious and comfortable double room from €365 per night, breakfast included. Most: the quality of the services, the comfort of the rooms, the indoor swimming pool, the helpful and attentive staff. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Ottawa!
Day 8: Mont-Tremblant
For the continuation of your month-long Canada itinerary, leave the province of Ontario and reach Mont-Tremblant, in Quebec.
A little less than 2 hours by road separate the village from Ottawa.
Along the way, you can even stop to visit the Omega Park in Montebello. It is home to several emblematic animals of the country circulating freely. You will do the course well protected in your car.
Arrived in Mont-Tremblant, you can go hiking, water activities on the lake (in summer), a 4km zip line descent, or skiing (in winter) and even a great snowmobile ride.
And if you are lucky enough to be there in the fall, it is one of the most beautiful places to admire the bright colors of the trees!
Spend 1 night in Mont-Tremblant.
Accommodation in Mont-Tremblant
- Auberge Manitonga Mont-Tremblant : Youth hostel located 5 minutes by car from the village of Mont-Tremblant and 10 minutes by bus. Bed in dormitory from 30€ per night. Most: the good price/performance ratio, the nearby lake, the warm welcome, the pleasant setting. An excellent choice for affordable accommodation in Mont-Tremblant!
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mont Tremblant: Located 5 min drive from the center of the village. Spacious and welcoming double room from €100 per night, breakfast included. Most: the indoor swimming pool, the size and comfort of the rooms, the free parking, the friendliness of the staff. It is our favorite for its price/performance ratio in Mont-Tremblant!
- Château Beauvallon: Located 10 minutes from Mont Tremblant. Well-equipped suite with balcony and kitchenette from €125 per night. The pluses: the indoor and outdoor heated pools, the tranquility, the shuttle to go to Mont-Tremblant.
- Le Grand Lodge Mont-Tremblant : Hotel located on the shores of Lac Ouimet. Comfortable and spacious double room from €170 per night, breakfast at €17. Most: the superb view of the lake, the location, the indoor swimming pool, the spa, the style of the hotel, all in wood and with fireplaces in the rooms.
- Hôtel Fairmont Tremblant : This luxury hotel is located at the foot of Mont-Tremblant, right next to the pedestrian village. Very comfortable double room from €300 per night, breakfast at €30. The pluses: all the services of a 5*, the location, the heated swimming pools, the quality of the service, the magnificent facilities. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Mont-Tremblant!
Day 9-10: La Mauricie National Park
La Mauricie National Park is located 3 hours from Mont-Tremblant. This is the next step of your 30-day stay in Canada.
You can practice many activities depending on the season:
- Walking / Hiking
- Canoeing on the lake
- Skiing or snowshoeing in winter
- Dog sledding
Also not to be missed are the Waber Falls, accessible by 4 km canoe + 4 km walk one way.
All information is on the official website.
Spend 2 nights near the park.
Accommodation in La Mauricie National Park
For camping enthusiasts, the park offers large tents fitted out both in winter (wood stove) and in summer. Common premises are available for preparing food and washing. You can find more information on this site.
And for those who prefer a little more comfort, here are the best accommodations near the park.
- L’Auberge Refuge du Trappeur: Located at the entrance to the park. Double room from 80€. Most: the location, the friendly welcome.
- Gîte aux Traditions : Located in the main street of St-Jean des Piles, just 5km from the park. Double room from €85 per night, breakfast included. Most: the location, lovely hosts, the hearty and excellent homemade breakfast, advice for activities to do in the park.
- Hôtel Marineau Shawinigan: Located 15 km from the national park. Double room from €85, breakfast included. Most: the cleanliness, the comfort of the beds, the good breakfast.
- Auberge motel drakkar: Located in Shawinigan. Spacious double room from 100€ per night. Most: the good breakfast, the welcoming owner, the calm.
Day 11-12: Lac St-Jean
Go a little further north of Quebec to Lac Saint-Jean, located 3h45 from Mauricie.
Count a morning for the trip, in the afternoon I advise you to visit the zoo of St-Félicien. An unusual zoo, which you will visit in a small mesh train, because the animals live there in freedom. You can discover bison, bears, wolves or moose. This is the ideal outing for a family vacation in Canada.
For the schedules and prices of the zoo, it is on the official site.
The next day, still in the vicinity of Lac St-Jean, you can visit the Amerindian museum of Mashteuiatsh then the historic village of Val-Jabert which faithfully reproduces a Quebec village of the 1920s with its historic buildings, its businesses and its extras in costume. of time.
More details on the official website.
Accommodation at Lac St-jean
- Auberge de jeunesse du Lac St-Jean : Located on the shores of the lake, a 12-minute walk from the beach. Bed in dormitory from 20€ per night. Most: quiet location, very pleasant and clean common area, comfortable bed.
- Maison Zacharie : Establishment located in Desbiens, by the lake. Large comfortable double room from €85 per night, breakfast included. Most: family welcome, very pretty area, good breakfast, a quiet and comfortable establishment.
- Motel L’Avantage : Located by the lake, about 8 km from the historic village of Val-Jalbert. Basic but clean double room from 85€ per night, breakfast included. Most: access to a private beach, the superb view of the lake, a very friendly welcome.
- Chalets and Spa Lac St-Jean : 6 minutes by car from the historic village and 40 minutes from the zoo. Cozy fully equipped loft with kitchenette and terrace from €110 per night. Most: beautiful view, large apartment, direct access to the beach, geographical location. It is our favorite for its performance / price ratio.
- Hôtel historique de Val-Jalbert : Located in Chambord in a completely renovated building from the 1920s. Modern, comfortable and warm double room from €250 per night, breakfast included and you can even enjoy dinner for that price! Access to the historic village is also included. Most: the atmosphere, the activities offered, the welcoming staff, the excellent restaurant, the decor of the rooms. The best choice for a high-end trip to Quebec.
Day 13-14: Saguenay Fjord
Continuation of this 1-month Canada itinerary via the Saguenay Fjord (2 hours by car from the lake).
During these 2 days, I recommend that you see:
- The village of Anse St-Jean which offers a beautiful panorama of the fjord and is ranked among the most beautiful villages in Quebec
- The village of Sainte-Rose-du-Nord for its location in a valley surrounded by mountains.
You can also do:
- Hiking: the best known is that of the Statue trail (7 km round trip)
- A boat trip on the fjord
- A sea kayaking trip to try to see whales and belugas.
- Ice fishing where you can catch your fish from a hole dug in the ice (winter activity)
- A snowshoe outing
- Nordic skiing in Saguenay
- A kayak excursion on the Saguenay Fjord.
Accommodation in the Saguenay Fjord
- Sunday inn : The establishment is located in Rivière Eternity, very close to the Fjord. Pleasant and spacious double room from €70 per night, breakfast included. Most: the setting and the calm, the comfortable bedding, the impeccable cleanliness. It is our favorite for its price / performance ratio, I really recommend that you stay there for 2 nights.
- Chalets sur le Fjord: Located at Anse St-Jean, ranked among the most beautiful villages in Quebec. Apartment or studio with kitchenette from €80 per night. The pluses: the magnificent setting with a view of the Fjord, the comfortable and modern apartments, the jacuzzi.
- Lodge des Bois : Located in St-Félix-d’Otis, by the lake. Chalet in the middle of the forest with private access to the lake. The Lodge is fully equipped, the decoration is modern and it has a terrace and a barbecue. The place is very quiet and the view magnificent. From €100 per night + €30 cleaning costs (if there are several of you, the bill decreases quickly). I really recommend it for a stay in the Canadian wilderness! Do not hesitate long, there is only one!
- Le 30 de Vébron : Apartment located in the pretty village of Anse St-Jean. This 250m² apartment can accommodate up to 7 people for 160€ per night. It is well equipped, very beautiful, and located in a pleasant setting. It is ideal if you are traveling with family or for a group of friends.
Day 15: Tadoussac
If you come to Tadoussac, it’s to live an incredible experience: observe whales in their natural environment!
Departures for cruises are in Tadoussac, 2 hours by road from the fjord. I highly recommend that you book this outing in advance as it is a very popular activity!
You will have the choice between several types of boats:
- A big boat outing of about 3 hours.
- A zodiac excursion of around 2h30 which has the advantage of being able to get as close as possible to the whales!
Spend a night in Tadoussac.
Accommodation in Tadoussac
- Motel de l’Anse à l’Eau : Located in Tadoussac. Double room from €100 per night. Most: the situation, the friendliness of the staff, the free parking, the cleanliness.
- Hôtel le Beluga : Located in Tadoussac. Spacious and bright double room from €130 per night, breakfast included. Most: the geographical location, the friendliness of the staff, the comfort of the rooms, hearty and delicious breakfast.
- Auberge la Tanière : Located 8km from Tadoussac, on the shores of Lac Boulanger. Comfortable and warm double room from €150 per night, breakfast included. Most: the superb view, the calm, the geographical location, the great welcome.
- Hôtel Tadoussac : The hotel overlooks Tadoussac Bay and the Saguenay Fjord. Double room from €160 per night, breakfast included. Most: being able to observe the whales while having your breakfast, the sumptuous setting, the location, the outdoor swimming pool.
Day 16-18: Gaspésie National Park
For stage 10 of this 1-month Canada itinerary, I suggest you spend the next 3 days in the Gaspésie National Park.
To get there from Tadoussac:
- Reach the village of Les Escoumins: 30 min by car to the North
- Take the ferry to Trois Pistoles: 90 minutes crossing. Schedules and prices on this site.
- 3 hour drive to the park.
Spend the night in Sainte-Anne-des-Monts.
Parc national de la Gaspésie is the perfect place to hike, canoe or try your hand at fishing. This is therefore the program that I recommend for the 2 days!
Spend another 2 nights near the park.
Tips for your Canada itinerary:
On the park’s official website, you will find a very well done map of the trails showing you the place of departure, the length and the average duration of the route as well as the degree of difficulty.
Do not hesitate to consult it to prepare your visit.
Accommodation in Sainte-Anne-des-Monts
- Motel Manoir sur Mer: Located in Sainte-Anne, along the St. Lawrence River. Spacious and comfortable double room from 90€ per night. Most: the situation at the edge of the river and the direct access to the latter by the terrace, the view.
- Auberge Seigneurie des Monts: Located in Sainte-Anne, 20 minutes from the Gaspésie National Park. Cozy double room with comfortable bedding from €110. Most: the warm welcome, the good breakfast, the view of the river.
- Hotel & Cie: Located in the center. Spacious and very comfortable room from 110€ per night. The pluses: the location for visiting the national park, the ultra-comfortable beds, the hotel’s good restaurant.
- Gîte du Mont-Albert – Sepaq: Located inside the national park. Very spacious and well appointed double room from 150€. Most: the location in the mountains, in the heart of the park, the general atmosphere of the hotel, the calm, the swimming pool, the sauna. It is our favorite for its geographical location!
Day 19-20: Percé
Today, it’s time to get back on the road, and not just any road, since I suggest you take Route 132, classified as one of the most beautiful scenic roads in Canada.
After about 2h40, you will arrive at Forillon National Park, renowned for its steep cliffs. Go through Cap-des-Rosiers and reach Cap-Bon-Ami which is the best place to see them. From there, it is possible to cover part of the cape on foot.
Then reach the city of Percé (1h10) which is the most easterly point of Gaspésie. The place is known for its Percé rock, the emblem of the province.
Spend a night in Percé.
The next day, go visit Bonaventure Island to observe the northern gannets that inhabit it.
Sleep a second night in Percé.
Accommodation in Percé
- Au pic de l’Aurore Motel-Chalets: Located in Percé, with a view of the Percé Rock. Fully equipped room or cottage with kitchenette from €75. Most: the view of the sea, barbecues and picnic tables available, tranquility.
- Hotel Le Mirage: Located in Percé. Spacious room with stunning views of the pierced rock from €100. Most: the setting, the surrounding landscape, the swimming pool, the calm and the excellent breakfast.
- Hotel Les Trois Soeurs: Hotel located on the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Spacious and bright room with sea view from 100€. The pluses: direct access to the beach, the outdoor facilities, the ideal location for the pier for Bonaventure Island, the excellent restaurant. It is our favorite for its performance / price ratio!
- Hotel La Côte Surprise: Located at the exit of Percé. Double room with large bay window and panoramic view of the pierced rock from €130. Most: the calm, the comfort of the beds, the location.
Day 21: Chaleur bay
Today continue to follow Route 132 to Baie des Chaleurs, approximately 2h30 drive.
You will then pass through the villages of Saint-Godefroi, Hope, Bonaventure, New Richmond and Carleton-sur-Mer.
This is where I advise you to stop for the night to cut the journey.
The Baie des Chaleurs benefits from a microclimate, its long beaches are very popular in summer. You can take the opportunity to rest or do water activities (in season).
The more athletic can also climb Mont Saint-Joseph or Mont Carleton to contemplate a superb panorama of the bay.
Accommodation near Chaleur Bay
- Hostellerie Baie Bleue: located in Carleton, on the shores of Baie des Chaleurs. Well-equipped room with comfortable bedding from €80. Most: the swimming pool, the private beach, the view.
- Motel L’Abri: located in Carleton-sur-Mer. Comfortable and clean room with kitchen or kitchenette from 110€. The pluses: the friendly welcome, the comfort, the proximity to the sea, the possibility of cooking.
- Manoir Belle Plage: located in Carleton and overlooking the Baie des Chaleurs. Very spacious and cozy room from 150€. Most: the jacuzzi in some rooms, the very helpful staff, the view of the mountains or the sea.
Day 22-23: Bic National Park
Last national park on the program of this recommended itinerary of about thirty days in Canada: Bic National Park.
To get there from Carleton, you must once again follow the magnificent Route 132.
To do in the park:
- Hiking on the 25 km of trails
- By bike: 15 km of cycle paths to cover
- Du kayak
- Observation of wildlife and seals in particular
- In winter: snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, Nordic skiing, fat bike…
Do not hesitate to consult the official site of the park for the details of the trails and activities.
Accommodation in Parc national du Bic
- Motel du Bic: located 900 meters from the park entrance. Comfortable and pleasant room from 80€. Most: the good homemade bread at breakfast and the homemade pizzas also in the evening, the cleanliness, the welcome of the owners.
- Gîte chez Rosemarie: this B&B offers rooms from €90, breakfast included. Most: excellent breakfast, the friendliness of the owner, the view.
- L’Auberge du Mange Grenouille: just 2 minutes by car from the Parc du Bic. Room with very atypical and colorful decor, with sea or garden view from 90€. The pluses: the original setting of the hotel, the jacuzzi, the gourmet cuisine served in the restaurant.
Day 24-26: Quebec
Another stop on this 4-week Canada itinerary: Quebec City. It would still be a shame to visit Eastern Canada in 1 month without going through Quebec City.
It takes around 3 hours by road from Parc national du Bic to reach Levis and take the ferry to Québec.
In the afternoon, you can discover:
- The Petit-Champlain district
- The Cathedral Basilica of Notre-Dame
- The promenade of the Dufferin terrace where the emblematic hotel of Quebec is located: the Frontenac castle.
It is possible to discover the interior of the castle by opting for a one-hour guided tour.
Spend the night in Quebec.
To see and do on the second day:
- The Citadel of Quebec
- The Plains of Abraham
- The Parliament Building
- The Capital Observatory
In the afternoon, head to Montmorency Falls. It is higher than Niagara Falls and the spectacle is truly impressive!
In particular, you can climb to the top by cable car and then take the suspension bridge that crosses it.
Tips for your Canada itinerary:
If you wish and so as not to miss anything of the city, you can also book a guided tour of Quebec (click on the link in orange to book):
- A guided tour of Quebec on foot for 2 hours: passing by the castle, the Dufferin terrace, the fortifications, the basilica, the Place Royale…
- A 2-hour guided bus tour with a stop at the Plains of Abraham, the ramparts, Frontenac, City Hall or the National Assembly
- A guided tour by double-decker bus – Duration: 1 hour
- A private guided tour with a local. Personalized itinerary and duration of your choice from 2h to 6h.
And for an original activity to do in Quebec, you can also opt for a virtual reality visit. Equipped with a helmet, you will live an experience in total immersion in the history of Quebec thanks to 3D reconstructions.
Finally, on the third and last day in Quebec, I advise you to discover the surroundings, with a choice of:
- Visit Île d’Orléans, an authentic and picturesque corner of the Quebec countryside
- Day at Village Vacances Valcartier, the largest playground in North America, both in winter (sliding, snow rafting, skating) and in summer (huge indoor and outdoor aquatic area).
If you choose the second option, you can even take the opportunity to spend the night at the Valcartier hotel, rather than returning to Quebec.
Tips for your Canada itinerary:
You will find all the information on things to do in and around Quebec in my article: Top Things to Do in Quebec.
Accommodation in Quebec
- Auberge internationale de Québec: Youth hostel located in Old Quebec. Bed in dormitory from 27€. Pros: location, cleanliness. The best choice for cheap accommodation in Quebec!
- Hôtel Manoir Vieux-Québec: Located right next to the Château Frontenac. Modern and comfortable double room from €130 per night. Most: the geographical location, the view from the terrace, the comfort of the beds.
- Hôtel Port-Royal: Located in the old town of Quebec. Double room equipped with a kitchenette from €170. Most: the location to visit Quebec on foot, the welcoming staff.
- Hotel Clarendon : Also located in Old Quebec, you will stay in a 19th century building. Cozy double room from €170, breakfast at €22. Most: the very comfortable beds, the geographical position in the center, the view from some rooms.
- Le Capitole Hotel : Located in Old Quebec. Superb room decorated with great taste from 290€ per night. Most: the friendly staff, the superb location, the quality of the service, the swimming pool on the top floor, the excellent breakfast. This is our recommendation for an upscale stay in Quebec!
- Château Frontenac : Why not spend a night in the most photographed hotel in the world? A unique experience and the opportunity to enjoy all the services and comfort of a luxury hotel: spa, swimming pool, gourmet restaurants. A good way to have fun in Quebec, it’s not every day that you can sleep at the Château Frontenac!
Day 27-28: Montreal
And here we are at the last stage of this 1-month Eastern Canada itinerary, I suggest you return to Montreal to end your vacation.
The city is a 3-hour drive from Quebec.
For the afternoon program in Montreal, you will have the choice:
- Climb to the top of the Olympic Stadium tower
- Visit the Biodome
- Take a walk in the botanical garden
- Go shopping in the shops and malls of Sainte-Catherine Street
- Explore Parc Jean-Drapeau
Spend the night in Montreal.
For more details on these visits to Montreal, it is in our article: Visit Montreal.
And now your one-month vacation in Canada is coming to an end! It’s time to head to the Montreal airport to catch your return flight.
Go 1 month in Canada: visit the East and the West
As you may have noticed, this itinerary is centered on the eastern part of Canada.
But it is quite possible to combine East and West to visit Canada in 4 weeks.
I advise you to combine the following 2 routes (click on the links in orange):
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Canada: Visit Western Canada in 15 days.
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Quebec: Visit Quebec in 2 weeks
To go from the West to the East of Canada (or vice versa), you will have to take a domestic flight.
If you have any questions to organize your 1 month Canada itinerary, do not hesitate to ask me in the comments.
Are you going on a trip to Canada? Read also
Check out all our articles about Canada: All articles about Canada are listed here!
- What to do in Canada? The 20 things to discover absolutely during your trip!
- What to do in Quebec? My 15 favorite things to discover in the French-speaking province!
- Itinerary: A week in Canada: All the steps to visit Canada in 1 week!
- Itinerary: 10 days in Canada: All our advice for organizing your 10-day Canada itinerary!
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Canada: Visit Western Canada in 15 days.
- Itinerary: 3 weeks in Canada: Steps to visit Western and Eastern Canada in 21 days
- Itinerary: A week in Quebec : How to visit Quebec in 1 week, with all our advice!
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Quebec: Visit Quebec in 2 weeks with all the stages and our advice!
- Itinerary: 10 days in Quebec: All the steps to organize your 10-day stay in Quebec!
- Itinerary: 3 weeks in Quebec: All the steps to make a 3 week road trip in Quebec!
- Calgary: The Top 10 Things to Do When You Visit
- Montreal: The 33 things to do and see
- Ottawa: 15 things not to miss on your trip
- Quebec : Top 15 things to do and see absolutely
- Toronto: The 25 things to do during your stay
- Vancouver: 25 must-see things