Recommended 10 Day Quebec itinerary
Do you want to visit Quebec in 10 days?
In order to help you organize your stay, we have prepared a 10-day Quebec itinerary for you so that you don’t miss any of the most beautiful places of interest in the beautiful province.
Follow our day-to-day program and discover Montreal, La Mauricie National Park, the Saguenay Fjord, Charlevoix and Quebec City.
Also find our advice and tips for your 10-day Quebec itinerary as well as our selection of the best accommodations for each stage.
So, let’s start our 10 day Quebec itinerary!
Day 1-2: Montreal
To visit Quebec in 9-10 days, I suggest you land at Montreal airport.
You will not necessarily need to rent a car when you arrive. Montreal can be visited very well on foot and by public transport.
It’s up to you whether you prefer to save 2 days of rental, or not waste time by coming back to pick it up later.
To reach downtown Montreal, if you rent a car later, take bus no. 747, which operates 24/7. It will allow you to reach the Berri-Uqam metro and thus reach your hotel.
The next day, the first day of your 9-10 day Quebec itinerary will be dedicated to visiting Montreal.
Start the morning with a stroll through the Old Montreal and Old Port neighborhood. The historic district notably includes the Notre-Dame de Montréal basilica, the Bonsecours market, the Quai de l’Horloge and the Jacques-Cartier square.
If you wish, you can also book a guided tour of Old Montreal by clicking here!
Arrived at the level of the Old Port, you will join the St. Lawrence River, the opportunity to continue your stroll by the water’s edge or even downright on the water by opting for a pleasant one-hour cruise. You will find all the information by clicking here!
If you visit Montreal in winter, you can practice some very nice activities there, such as ice skating or trying your hand at ice fishing.
For lunch, don’t miss the restaurant at the Pointe à Callières museum, which is located in the Old Port, near the Alexandra wharf. It enjoys a panoramic view of the entire port and also allows you to taste a gourmet meal (starter + main course + dessert) for only $25. This was one of my favorite places to eat when I lived in Montreal! By reservation only.
In the afternoon, head to the unmissable place to see in Montreal: Mount Royal Park. You can climb up to the Belvedere to admire one of the most beautiful views of the city. The park has trails for walking and also a lake: Beaver Lake.
In winter, when it is frozen, it becomes an ice rink and you can rent skates there. Under the snow, the slopes of Mount Royal are also transformed into a toboggan run! To do absolutely during your 10-day Canada itinerary, especially if you are with your children.
And another thing that could please the whole family: the presence of many small squirrels all over the park.
At the end of the day, go down slowly towards the Plateau Mont-Royal where there are many shops as well as cafes and restaurants. You can also admire the typical houses there.
And what could be better for your dinner than testing the national dish: poutine! For that, go to the most popular restaurant in Mont-Royal, I named “La Banquise”. The hardest part will be choosing among the many variants.
Return to your hotel for the night.
For your second day of this 10-day Quebec itinerary, continue discovering Montreal.
On the program for the morning, a panoramic lift up the tower of the Olympic stadium. The view at the top is truly magnificent.
Right next to the stadium, you can then visit the Montreal Biodôme which recreates several ecosystems of the American continent. The place is really well done, nothing to do with a classic zoo. It is home to (among others) lynx, caimans, penguins and penguins and their environments are super well reconstructed.
In the surroundings, I recommend that you continue by taking a walk in the botanical gardens. Here, too, the various thematic gardens (Japanese, Chinese) are well showcased and very beautiful. It is open at all times and even free in winter. The trails are then very popular with cross-country skiing and snowshoeing enthusiasts.
To end the day, join the main shopping artery of Montreal: Sainte-Catherine Street. H&M, Zara, Benetton, all the international boutiques are represented there. It is the ideal place to go shopping.
And if you find yourself there in winter, there’s no risk of getting cold while window shopping, the city’s underground network extends under the entire street, you won’t even have to step outside!
Spend a second night in Montreal.
Tips for your Quebec itinerary:
To organize your trips by public transport during these 2 days in Montreal, I advise you to use the website of the STM (Société des Transports de Montréal).
Very practical, it calculates the best route for you by bus or metro in real time, and takes into account any problems on the lines.
Accommodation in Montreal
- M Montreal : Youth hostel located 5 minutes walk from the Berri Uquam metro station on Sainte Catherine Street. Bed in a modern and comfortable dormitory from €25 per night, breakfast included. Possibility also to sleep in a double room. The pluses: very welcoming staff, modern infrastructure, bar in the basement with shows on certain evenings. An excellent choice where to stay inexpensively in Montreal!
- Best Western Plus Hotel Montreal: Located in the entertainment district. Warm and spacious double room from 150€ per night. Most: the perfect location for visiting Montreal, cleanliness, comfortable beds.
- Le Dauphin Montreal Centre-Ville: Located 200 meters from the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal and 5 min walk from the Old Port. Double room from €170, breakfast included. Most: very well located, the size of the rooms, the large bed.
- Le Petit Hotel Montreal: Located in the historic center of Montreal. Room with real character with exposed stone and brick wall, from €250, breakfast included. Most: the service, the good breakfast, the charm of the hotel.
- Le St-Martin Hotel Centre-ville – Hotel Particulier: Located 50 m from rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest. Elegant and cozy double room from 290€. Most: the swimming pool with waterfall and water jets, the adorable staff, the location, the comfort. This is our recommendation for an upscale stay in Montreal!
- Hotel Birks Montreal: Located downtown, this 5* hotel offers superb tastefully decorated rooms starting at €500, breakfast at €19. Most: the perfect location, the architecture, the friendliness of the staff, the Spa. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Montreal!
Day 3-4: La Mauricie National Park
For this second stage, I suggest you start the road trip part of the 10 days Quebec itinerary.
Get in the car (or pick it up at the airport) and head to La Mauricie National Park, where you’ll spend the next 2 days. From Montreal, it takes about 2h30 by road.
During these 2 days at the park, you can enjoy a whole range of activities. In summer, you can hike in sumptuous natural landscapes and go canoeing. Fishing enthusiasts will also be served.
The most famous excursion in La Mauricie National Park combines the 2. To reach the Waber Falls, you will have to do no less than 8 km round trip by canoe + 8 km round trip walking. Suffice to say that it is quite sporty but perfectly doable in one day.
In winter, make way for the typical activities of a winter stay in Quebec, with snowmobile or dog sledding excursions , snowshoeing or cross-country skiing.
To best plan your 2 days in the park according to your interests, do not hesitate to consult the official website. You will find the list of activities and details of the hikes classified according to their level.
Book 2 nights in one of the accommodations that I have selected for you below.
Accommodation in La Mauricie National Park
For camping enthusiasts, the park offers large tents fitted out both in winter (wood stove) and in summer. Common premises are available for preparing food and washing. You can find more information on this site.
And for those who prefer a little more comfort, here are the best accommodations near the park.
- L’Auberge Refuge du Trappeur: Located at the entrance to the park. Double room from 80€. Most: the location, the friendly welcome.
- Gîte aux Traditions : Located in the main street of St-Jean des Piles, just 5km from the park. Double room from €85 per night, breakfast included. Most: the location, lovely hosts, the hearty and excellent homemade breakfast, advice for activities to do in the park.
- Hôtel Marineau Shawinigan: Located 15 km from the national park. Double room from €85, breakfast included. Most: the cleanliness, the comfort of the beds, the good breakfast.
- Auberge motel drakkar: Located in Shawinigan. Spacious double room from 100€ per night. Most: the good breakfast, the welcoming owner, the calm.
Day 5-6: Saguenay Fjord
For the third stage of this 9-10 day Quebec itinerary, leave the Mauricie National Park to reach the Saguenay Fjord.
There are several possible routes but I suggest you take route 155, which allows you, towards the end, to follow a small part of Lac St-Jean.
Allow about 4h15 of travel, so all morning. However, you will enjoy beautiful scenery along the way.
For the program for the afternoon and the following day at the Saguenay Fjord, several options are possible depending on your tastes and what you like to do on vacation.
Here is an idea of things to do in the Saguenay Fjord:
- Discover the village of Anse St-Jean. The only village in the Fjord to be located on the edge, it offers a splendid panorama. It is ranked among the most beautiful villages in Quebec.
- In the same genre, the village of Sainte-Rose du Nord is also worth a detour for its panorama. Surrounded by mountains and nestled in a small valley, the place is charming.
- Hike one of the many trails. The most famous is the Sentier de la Statue, the summit of which offers a beautiful view.
- A boat cruise on the Fjord.
- A sea kayak outing in search of belugas and whales.
- Leave for a day of brook trout fishing.
- Ice fishing where you can catch your fish from a hole dug in the ice (winter activity)
- A snowshoe outing
- Nordic skiing.
For the complete guide to activities in the Saguenay Fjord, visit the official site.
Accommodation in the Saguenay Fjord
- Sunday inn : The establishment is located in Rivière Eternity, very close to the Fjord. Pleasant and spacious double room from €70 per night, breakfast included. Most: the setting and the calm, the comfortable bedding, the impeccable cleanliness. It is our favorite for its price / performance ratio, I really recommend that you stay there for 2 nights.
- Chalets sur le Fjord: Located at Anse St-Jean, ranked among the most beautiful villages in Quebec. Apartment or studio with kitchenette from €80 per night. The pluses: the magnificent setting with a view of the Fjord, the comfortable and modern apartments, the jacuzzi.
- Lodge des Bois : Located in St-Félix-d’Otis, by the lake. Chalet in the middle of the forest with private access to the lake. The Lodge is fully equipped, the decoration is modern and it has a terrace and a barbecue. The place is very quiet and the view magnificent. From €100 per night + €30 cleaning costs (if there are several of you, the bill decreases quickly). I really recommend it for a stay in the Canadian wilderness! Do not hesitate long, there is only one!
- Le 30 de Vébron : Apartment located in the pretty village of Anse St-Jean. This 250m² apartment can accommodate up to 7 people for 160€ per night. It is well equipped, very beautiful, and located in a pleasant setting. It is ideal if you are traveling with family or for a group of friends.
Day 7: Charlevoix
For the fourth stage of your 10-day Quebec itinerary, I’m taking you to the Charlevoix region. It is located between the Saguenay Fjord and Quebec City and is therefore a good stopover to cut the road in two.
The trip from the Fjord will take you about 1h45 to reach Charlevoix.
During this day in Charlevoix, you will also have the choice between several activities:
- If you like to walk, I recommend that you take a walk in the Hautes-Gorges de la Rivière Malbaie park. With the river and the mountains, the landscapes are magnificent.
- If you prefer a less physical activity, you can also opt for a cruise on this same river.
- Art lovers will be delighted by the town of Baie St-Paul and its art galleries
- Local wildlife enthusiasts can go black bear watching with a guide
- And if you like peace and quiet, take a drive to Isle-aux-Coudres, a rural island located opposite Baie St-Paul and accessible from Saint-Joseph-de-la-Rive by a ferry. The journey is free and takes 20 minutes.
Spend a night around Charlevoix.
Accommodation in Charlevoix
- Motel des Cascades: Located in Baie-Saint-Paul. Double room from 80€. Most: the friendliness of the staff, the outdoor equipment, the cleanliness.
- Hôtel au petit berger : Located in La Malbaie, facing the St. Lawrence River. Bright and spacious double room from €85 per night, breakfast included. Most: the tranquility of the place, the comfortable beds, the welcoming staff, the good breakfast. It is our favorite for its performance / price ratio!
- La Pignoronde: Located in Baie-Saint-Paul. Apartment with balcony or terrace superbly decorated and fully equipped from 170€. Most: the indoor swimming pool, the superb view, the size of the accommodation.
- Hotel & Spa Le Germain Charlevoix: Located in Baie-Saint-Paul. Modern double room with cozy decoration from €190. Most: the swimming pool, the quality of the meals, the location.
- Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu Hotel : This 5* hotel is located in La Malbaie. Spacious, comfortable and warm double room from €210 per night, breakfast at €18. The pluses: all the services of a luxury hotel, the spa, the heated swimming pools, the attentive staff, the geographical location, the architecture of the hotel. If you want to treat yourself during your stay in Charlevoix, this hotel is the best choice!
Day 8-9: Quebec
Impossible to visit Quebec in 10 days without going through Quebec City itself! For the penultimate stage of this Quebec itinerary, I will take you to discover the city.
From Charlevoix, barely an hour’s drive is necessary to reach Quebec City.
Upon arriving in the city, begin your visit with a stroll along the Dufferin Terrace. This is where the must-see building of Quebec is located: the Château Frontenac. It is one of the most photographed hotels in the world so be sure to make a photo stop.
And maybe you will even have the chance to discover it from the inside if you have chosen to spend a night there or for the more economical version by booking a guided tour.
During your walk, you can also admire beautiful views of the St. Lawrence River and Île d’Orléans.
Then pass by the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica to admire its remarkable architecture. It is classified as a “historical monument of Canada”.
Then take the funicular to descend into the Petit-Champlain district, a very charming district with its cobbled streets and small shops with tastefully decorated windows. Not to be missed in the district: the Place Royale and the Québécois fresco.
For the end of the day, I recommend that you take a cruise on the St. Lawrence River. The journey allows you to contemplate a splendid view of the whole city from the river. This is a must-do activity during your 10-day trip to Quebec.
You can choose between 2 cruises:
- An evening cruise with shows and the presence of a DJ to entertain
- A 5-course gourmet dinner cruise for a more romantic evening.
These cruises are only available until October, but rest assured if you make this trip in winter, you can take the ferry that connects Quebec to Levis. Equipped with an icebreaker, it is the only boat able to circulate all year round and it allows you to admire the same points of view.
Spend the night in Quebec City.
The next day, for the last “real” day of this 9-10 day stay in Quebec, I suggest you finish your visit to the city.
Go to the Citadel of Quebec and the Plains of Abraham, located next door. You can then visit the parliament building and finish your morning by going up to the capital’s observatory to admire the city from above.
On the afternoon program, I reserve for you one of the unmissable excursions to do around Quebec: the Montmorency Falls. Higher than Niagara Falls, the place is particularly impressive. If you are there in winter, it is even very likely that part of the falls is frozen.
You can reach the top of the falls by taking the cable car from the parking lot.
Tickets can be reserved in advance by clicking here.
Spend one last in Quebec.
For more details on Quebec City and things to see, read our article: The Complete Guide to Quebec City.
Accommodation in Quebec
- Auberge internationale de Québec: Youth hostel located in Old Quebec. Bed in dormitory from 27€. Pros: location, cleanliness. The best choice for cheap accommodation in Quebec!
- Hôtel Manoir Vieux-Québec: Located right next to the Château Frontenac. Modern and comfortable double room from €130 per night. Most: the geographical location, the view from the terrace, the comfort of the beds.
- Hôtel Port-Royal: Located in the old town of Quebec. Double room equipped with a kitchenette from €170. Most: the location to visit Quebec on foot, the welcoming staff.
- Hotel Clarendon : Also located in Old Quebec, you will stay in a 19th century building. Cozy double room from €170, breakfast at €22. Most: the very comfortable beds, the geographical position in the center, the view from some rooms.
- Le Capitole Hotel : Located in Old Quebec. Superb room decorated with great taste from 290€ per night. Most: the friendly staff, the superb location, the quality of the service, the swimming pool on the top floor, the excellent breakfast. This is our recommendation for an upscale stay in Quebec!
- Château Frontenac : Why not spend a night in the most photographed hotel in the world? A unique experience and the opportunity to enjoy all the services and comfort of a luxury hotel: spa, swimming pool, gourmet restaurants. A good way to have fun in Quebec, it’s not every day that you can sleep at the Château Frontenac!
Day 10: Return to Montreal
This step unfortunately marks the end of your 9-10 day Quebec itinerary.
You will have to think about returning to Montreal to catch your return flight at the end of the day or the next day. From Quebec, count a good 3 hour drive.
If you have time left, you can take the opportunity to finish visiting Montreal. For example, you can go to the Atwater market to stock up on local products such as maple syrup. And since the market is located next to the Lachine Canal, you can also walk around.
Tips for your Quebec itinerary:
For a 9-day stay in Quebec, remove one day in Montreal or Quebec.
Another choice for 9 days: you can also skip the Charlevoix stage and reach Quebec City directly after the Saguenay Fjord.
If your road trip in Quebec lasts 11 days:
- Add a stage between stage 3 (Fjord) and stage 4 (Charlevoix)
- From the Fjord, reach Tadoussac, 1h30 by road
- This is where the boat tours leave to go whale watching!
- Spend the night in Tadoussac and reach Charlevoix the next day
If you prefer, you can also add a day in Quebec. You can also do the day trip to see the whales. Super convenient, we pick you up directly at the hotel in the morning. All the information to book your excursion is available here.
Do not hesitate to give us your opinions and suggestions on our 10-day Quebec itinerary!
Are you going on a trip to Canada? Also to read
Discover all our articles about Canada: All articles about Canada are listed here!
- 5 steps to prepare your trip to Canada : The complete guide to prepare everything from A to Z!
- What to do in Canada? The 20 things to discover absolutely during your trip!
- What to do in Quebec? My 15 favorite things to discover in the French-speaking province!
- Itinerary: A week in Canada: All the steps to visit Canada in 1 week!
- Itinerary: 10 days in Canada: All our advice for organizing your 10-day trip to Canada!
- Itinerary: A week in Quebec : How to visit Quebec in 1 week, with all our advice!
- Itinerary: 2 weeks in Quebec: Visit Quebec in 2 weeks with all our advice!
- Itinerary: 2 days in Quebec: All the steps to organize your 2-day stay in Quebec!
- Calgary: The Top 10 Things to Do When You Visit