Morocco 2 Weeks Itinerary: Between Ocean and Desert
Are you looking for relaxation, sightseeing and adventure?
Morocco, do you like it? Do you have 2 weeks ahead of you?
This route is for you!
Starting from Marrakech and passing through Essaouira and Ouarzazate, with this itinerary you will travel between ocean and desert.
Immerse yourself in the heart of Moroccan culture and its culinary specialties.
Between populated streets and solitude in the middle of the dunes, visits, culture and unique experiences, this itinerary can only please you.
Here is an overview of the good plans that you will discover in this itinerary:
- Explore the must-see Medina of Marrakech and pick up bargains in the souks
- Discover an Argan oil cooperative in Essaouira
- Live the good life surfing the waves of Taghazout
- Visit a saffron cooperative in Taliouine
- Admire the typical architecture of southern Morocco in Ouarzazate
- Live an unforgettable experience during an excursion in the desert
The 2-week Morocco: Day by Day
For this 2-week Morocco itinerary, we advise you to rent a car, the recommended time to travel to this country is from April to June and from late August to October.
The temperatures are less extreme, it rains less, and the water temperature is perfect for swimming.
Apart from the traditional couscous and tajines, there are other culinary specialties not to be missed during a trip to Morocco!
First, there are Briouates, sheets of brik folded into a triangle filled with a savory filling (usually meat, fish or vegetables) or a sweet filling (usually toasted almonds, orange blossom or cinnamon).
Harira is a hearty soup in which you usually find chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes and spices, it’s delicious ! Finally, in Marrakech, do not miss the Tanjia, a dish that takes its name from the pot in which it is cooked.
This dish is usually cooked with meat, lemon and spices, a treat!
Day 1-3: Marrakesh
What to do in Marrakesh?
First stage of your 2-week Morocco itinerary, Marrakech will seduce you with its streets teeming with life, its smells, its gardens, its palaces, its colors, its architecture…
- Wander the famous Jemaa-El-Fna square, day and night.
Are you going to miss the traditional orange juice from street vendors?
- Lose yourself in the medina and its souks.
- Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city and head to Jardin Majorelle, which blends nature and architecture.
- Observe the Koutoubia Mosque, the largest mosque in Marrakech.
Then stroll through his garden.
- The Medersa Ben-Youssef, this Koranic school was the traditional university of Marrakech.
There is a good chance that its magnificent architecture will seduce you!
- The Bahia Palace is one of the most beautiful! Between its architecture, its garden and its courtyards, this palace is really worth seeing.
- Relax in a local hammam. Namely for couples, not all hammams are mixed.
So choose yours carefully if you want to be two.
- Do you like to cook and Moroccan cuisine? So why not take a cooking class to impress your loved ones once you get back from your trip?
- If you like beautiful pictures or photography, this tour will surely please you! The house of photography in Marrakech offers photos that will take you back in time and discover the history of Morocco.
- Stroll through the Secret Garden, and climb the tower to have one of the most beautiful views of the city and the Atlas Mountains in the background.
- History buffs, stroll through the ruins of El Badi Palace, which took 16 years to build and has no less than 360 rooms ! The grandeur of this palace is impressive.
You can also see old photos of Marrakech and archaeological objects.
What to do around Marrakech?
- The large palm grove of Marrakech is one of the city’s must-sees.
So to discover it in a less classic way, we suggest you visit it by quad or camel !
- Take a half-day out of the city center and take a camel ride.
- Marrakech is a city quite close to the Atlas Mountains, so why not spend a day there ? Whether in 4×4 or walking, magnificent landscapes guaranteed!
- Located 157km from Marrakech, the Ouzoud waterfalls, 110 meters high, are a must.
It is possible to go there on an organized excursion.
Find more about Marrakech here: Ultimate 2 Days Marrakech Itinerary.
Accommodation in Marrakech
For your accommodation in Marrakech, opt for a traditional riad in the medina! We recommend choosing one with a terrace… Breakfast in these conditions is priceless! Here are our two recommendations:
- Mid-range: the Riad Dar Sirine has everything to please with its view of the city and the Atlas Mountains, a good breakfast, a beautiful decoration, a terrace… what more could you ask for?
- Top of the range: go upscale at the Jardins de la Koutoubia, a luxurious hotel with welcoming staff, a spa, very comfortable beds, a good restaurant, there is everything you need! If it’s not in your budget, it’s still possible to go there for a drink or a walk in the gardens.
Day 4-5: Essaouira
What to do in Essaouira?
Essaouira, or “pearl of the Atlantic”, with its ramparts, is a city that will seduce you, between culture and adventure.
- Visit the medina on the second leg of your 2-week Morocco itinerary.To be sure not to miss anything, you can even take part in a guided tour.
- Walk on the ramparts and admire the kasbah.
- Lose yourself in the souk.
- Art lovers, you will be delighted! Essaouira is full of art galleries, the oldest is Espace Othello.
- Sports and sensation lovers, go kitesurfing on the windy coasts of the city.
- Take the time to admire a sunset over the ocean and observe the colorful reflections on the water.
- A desire to go out? We recommend Le Mega Loft or Le Café Taros.
- Want to dance ? Take the time to listen to Gnoua music.And if you go there in June, the Gnoua and world music festival will broaden your musical horizons.
- Do you want to relax on a beach, under the hot sun, while listening to the sound of the waves? For this, we recommend the beach of the city itself or that of Diabat-Thagarte, 10km south of Essaouira.
- If you love horses or are tired of walking, it is possible to go horseback riding on the beach with the Ranch de Diabat, 7km south of Essaouira.
- Essaouira is in the region of Morocco where argan oil is made.Go see a women’s argan oil manufacturing cooperative to see the manufacturing process but also to buy products! We recommend the Marjana Cooperative.
- To go to the next stage, take the Route des Crêtes, which is truly magnificent.
Accommodation in Essaouira
- Mid-range: for a stay in a modern riad, with friendly staff, delicious food, with a swimming pool and an excellent location in the medina, head to the Suite Azur Hotel without a doubt!
- Upscale: Stay at Riad Chbanate, which we love for its attentive staff, its superb decoration, its delicious restaurant and the fact that it is close to the ocean.
Day 6-7: Taghazout
What to do in Taghazout?
A small fishing village, a landmark for surfers, Taghazout will be a very pleasant stopover on your 2-week Morocco itinerary.
- It is a very charming little fishing village so take a stroll through the alleys.
- Surfing enthusiasts , you will be served, this village is considered one of the best spots on the coast!
- Take advantage of this stage to relax and swim in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Skateboarding enthusiasts? The Taghazout skatepark is made for you! It’s a charming meeting place, where skaters and spectators mingle, and all with a view of the city’s bay.
At sunset, it’s even better!
- A unique experience to live in Taghazout is a horseback ride on the beach at sunset. It is magic !
- 30 minutes to the south is the much better known city of Agadir. We advise you to go there, even if it is very touristy. Do not miss the medina, the souk and the kasbah.
It is also possible to participate in an excursion to visit the city.
- Grab your car and head out to explore the beautiful Paradise Valley.
- Take a tour through the Imouzzer des Ida Outanane waterfalls.
In the village of the same name or on the road that leads to it, you will surely find stalls selling delicious honey, whether it is lavender, all flowers, or thyme!
Accommodation in Taghazout
- Mid-range: for a stay rich in encounters, book your nights at the Auberge Taghazout.
Located in the heart of the fishing village, this surf-oriented guest house is a dream with its direct view of the ocean. 100% tested and validated by Julien!
- Upscale: the coast of Taghazout being superb and very popular, many 5-star hotels have emerged.
We recommend the Paradis Plage Surf Yoga & Spa, for a stay in a more atypical hotel with an undeniable quality of service.
If you prefer to be closer to the city, the Hyatt Place Taghazout Bay is a safe bet.
Day 8: Taliouine
What to do in Taliouine?
Small town in which it is ideal to stop on the road between Taghazout and Ouarzazate.
- Taliouine is known to be the capital of saffron in Morocco, so stop by the Souktana saffron cooperative, and don’t hesitate to buy some while you are there, because you will have quality. It is a must on this 2-week Morocco itinerary! If you are there at the right time, you will even have the chance to see the fields in bloom which contrast with the mountains in the background. Harvesting takes place from mid-October to mid-November.
- Go see the ruins of the old Glaoui kasbah.
- Want wide open spaces? Take a hike to Djebel Siroua, an ancient volcano that has left amazing reliefs.
Accommodation in Taliouine
- Mid-range: enjoy a timeless experience at the Escale Rando Taliouine guest house .
You will be welcomed as if you were part of the family and you will be served meals to die for! All in a superb environment, and typical Moroccan architecture.
Day 9-14: Ouarzazate
3 days advised + 3 days advised in the desert
What to do in Ouarzazate?
Gateway to southern Morocco, Ouarzazate and its surroundings will make your 2-week itinerary in Morocco unique.
- Walk around the city.
- Lose in the souks.
- Go and visit the Taourirt kasbah, one of the most beautiful kasbahs in Morocco, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built in the 17th century, it is one of the first great Berber constructions in Morocco.
Its orange-red exterior and richly decorated interior will seduce you!
- Do you like cinema ? Take the direction of Cinema Studio Atlas, you will see behind the scenes of well-known films such as Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia, Asterix and Obelix mission Cleopatra…
What to do around Ouarzazate?
- Do not miss the Ksar of Aït Ben Haddou, which is also classified by UNESCO! It brings together several buildings within its walls and is an excellent example of southern Moroccan architecture.
- Take a trip to the oasis of Fint, 20 km south of Ouarzazate.
- In the midst of this surrounding dryness, seeing a little water is always good! Go and see the lake of the El Mansour Eddahbi dam 17 km east of Ouarzazate, where the blue of the water contrasts the orange-red of the surroundings.
- Going to Ouarzazate without taking the opportunity to take a short tour in the Moroccan desert would be a shame! So, in this itinerary, we suggest you spend 3 days visiting Ouarzazate and its surroundings, and go on a 3-day excursion in the desert (to be modulated according to your preferences), so as not to miss this beautiful experience. For that, we advise you to go on a trek or an organized excursion, which will also allow you to spend a night in the desert.
We recommend this 2-day circuit, or this 3-day one.
You can also do your research and see what is on offer to find the excursion that best suits your desires!
Accommodation in Ouarzazate
- Mid-range: treat yourself to a few nights in a kasbah with typical decoration, such as the Kasbah Dar Daif.
You can enjoy a superb view from the terrace, but also spacious and comfortable rooms.
The little extra that we love: the friendliness of the owners and their advice for having the perfect stay in Ouarzazate.
- Upscale: enjoy a slightly more upscale kasbah, such as Dar Amoudou, with friendly staff, beautiful rooms, some with balconies, and above all, the incredible panoramic terrace!
If you have any information, good tips, or simply an opinion concerning this itinerary, do not hesitate to leave us a comment at the bottom of the page!
Are you going to Morocco? Read also
- Ultimate Marrakech Itinerary: 2 Days in Marrakech
- Top 10 Riads in Marrakech (with Tips)
- Visit Morocco, a Land of Contrast
- Visit the Majorelle Garden in Marrakech
- Marrakech: Top 10 Things to Do Absolutely!