If you’ve decided to go to the Lombard capital and you’re wondering where to stay in Milan, you may have already realized that choosing the best area won’t be that difficult.
If not, I assure you! In fact, this city has a very efficient transport system and with the metro you can really get anywhere you want (at least while you’re in Milan, of course!).
Even in the face of this awareness, you can investigate and search for which area is really the most suitable for you and your travel preferences.
In the following paragraphs you will therefore find a list of 6 neighborhoods (and their respective hotels) where you should check availability to stay in Milan, obviously based on what best suits your tastes and needs.
Best Accommodation in Milan: neighborhood guide
As you may have noticed by simply observing the city from the map, the system of districts of Milan is a sort of large spider’s web (my very personal definition, I admit it) at the center of which is the Duomo overlooking the square of the same name and circles develop all around almost concentric.
The central area is made up of medieval Milan, just outside are the boundaries of Roman Milan, a circle later the so-called “circle of the Spanish walls” develops and the outermost part instead constitutes modern Milan.
But which is the best area to stay in Milan?
Dedicate yourself to reading the next paragraphs to find out, but not before giving you a clue: by reading the paragraph titles, you will already understand which is the best neighborhood for you.
It will be because I travel’s advice : browse the article and focus on the hotels in the area that interests you and check their availability.
If you don’t have special needs, instead, start the search for accommodation for your dates on this offers page.
Make sure that the structure is close enough to a metro stop, and voilà: you will have found where to stay in Milan!
1: Historic Center: where to stay for the first time in Milan
If it’s the first time you choose to reach Milan and stop for the night, the area where you should look for a place to sleep is definitely the historic centre.
It’s true that this isn’t the best choice if you want to keep the budget down, but if it’s your first time in the city, you deserve to enjoy the charm and beauty that Piazza del Duomo exudes throughout the day.
For this reason, I have selected for you three accommodations in which to stay in the historic center of Milan in which to check availability, which however also take into consideration the budget.
- Duomo Hotel & Apartments (from € 181) : this hotel offers modern rooms, but the real highlight is the location: it is located just 240 meters from the Duomo.
This location is truly fantastic for experiencing the historic center of Milan in its entirety and comfortably on foot.
The subway is also easily accessible from here.
- Enjoy Duomo (from € 183) : the rooms are small but really welcoming and the location is central and convenient for visiting the center of Milan on foot.
Staying overnight in the room from which it is possible to admire the spiers of the Duomo right from the window is a unique experience: make sure you select the superior room to be able to do so.
- Milan Retreats Duomo (from €189) : Whatever type of apartment you’re looking for to stay in the center of Milan, you should take a look at this property.
It offers perfect studio apartments for couples, suitable solutions for families, but also accommodations that can accommodate up to 8 adults.
The apartments are located in different streets, but all in a fantastic position to reach Piazza del Duomo.
2: Città Studi: where to stay in Milan to save money
The advantage of a very efficient city connection system is that you can allow yourself the luxury of choosing a structure slightly further away from the actual center to save money, but still be able to reach the center in a stone’s throw.
Even (and above all) Città Studi is no exception, here are the best accommodations to stay in this neighborhood in Milan:
- Lion Hostel (from €29) : if you are looking for really cheap accommodation for your stay in Milan, be sure to check availability at the Lion Hostel.
- Hotel San Francisco (from € 92) : with a fantastic value for money, this hotel is one of the best accommodations if you are looking for a hotel to stay in Milan on a budget.
The metro is just 300 meters from the property so you can reach every corner of the city while staying here.
- Città Studi Bright (from €121) : if what you prefer is an apartment, this is the one for you.
The furnishings are modern, the property well maintained and can accommodate up to 4 adults.
This neighborhood develops around the Naviglio Grande and Naviglio Pavese, two artificial canals used in the past for trade.
On the banks of the canals, bars, restaurants, clubs and shops are teeming in front of which it is pleasant to stroll at any time of day.
But the Navigli are also one of the reference points for nightlife, when the premises come alive with life, young people and atmosphere.
Staying in this neighborhood you can easily reach the city center, both by metro and by tram.
I suggest you choose a structure in the Navigli area for your stay in Milan if you are looking for a pleasant place during the day, where you can easily find somewhere to eat, but also have the certainty that you won’t spend the evening wondering what to do: you just need to get off on the street to find numerous ways to entertain yourself.
- Combo Milano (from €40) : located on Ripa di Porta Ticinese, this is a hostel also equipped with bedrooms with private bathrooms.
Here you can find a bed in a dormitory starting from €40 and a double room from €130. If you are leaving with a group of friends, know that accommodations for up to 6 people are also available here.
- Laura’s Home (from €129) : if what you are looking for is an apartment to stay in the Navigli area of Milan, you should take a look at this property.
Choose the studio apartment if you will be traveling as a couple, or opt for a larger apartment if you will be traveling with several people.
- Maison Borella (from €199) : do you prefer a hotel overlooking the banks of the Naviglio Grande? Then you should make sure you check out this hotel.
The rooms have been renovated enhancing the distinctive elements of the structure, such as bricks and exposed beams.
Make sure you choose the room facing the canal to enjoy beautiful views even from your room.
4: Brera: where to stay as a couple
This area is considered the artists’ district of Milan.
It is no coincidence that the Pinacoteca di Brera is located here, a national gallery that houses ancient and modern works of art, some of the most beautiful historic buildings in the area, as well as restaurants, clubs, shops and art galleries.
In short, Brera is one of the most elegant neighborhoods in which to stay in Milan! It is also located a short distance from Piazza del Duomo.
Here are 3 properties where I suggest you check availability in this neighborhood:
- Brera Prestige B&B (from €168) : located just a 10-minute walk from Milan Cathedral, this B&B is located in the heart of Brera.
The rooms are simple and clean and the staff are helpful.
- Apartments Brera (from €149) : if you prefer to choose an apartment for your stay in this district, you should consider this establishment.
The apartments are elegant and are located just 50 meters from the Pinacoteca di Brera and 100 from the Castello Sforzesco.
5: Sempione: a neighborhood for families
Although in this city there are no neighborhoods listed in this article that I would advise against for a family trip, I am still of the opinion that the Sempione Park area is one of the best places to stay in Milan if you are traveling with children.
This is in fact the largest park in the city centre, inside there are very pleasant green spaces and numerous activities, such as the Castello Sforzesco and the civic aquarium.
Furthermore, the area preceding the park and the Arco della Pace is full of bars and restaurants.
Once you have crossed the park and the castle, you will reach the historic center in just one kilometer on foot (or more conveniently by metro).
- Charming apartment (from €221) : if you are looking for an apartment in the Sempione area, I suggest you take a look at this one with a terrace.
The furnishings are well cared for and nothing will be missing to make your stay in Milan pleasant.
It is also located a short distance from the entrance to Parco Sempione.
- Belle Époque residence (from € 247) : this apartment is also very close to the park entrance, but the substantial difference is the number of beds: I recommend this property if you are a large family as it has 2 bedrooms and can accommodate up to 6 adults.
6: Where to stay in Milan for shopping
I admit that Corso Buenos Aires is one of the busiest streets in the whole city, but if you are looking for a place to go shopping, entering more than 300 shops accessible to all types of budgets, you are in the right place.
Opt instead for accommodation in the fashion district, such as in via Montenapoleone, if what you are looking for is high-fashion shopping in the city centre.
- Milano Suite (from € 132) : located in the Corso Buenos Aires area, this structure offers simple and clean apartments in a favorable area also for Milan Central Station.
- Armani Hotel Milano (from €1.1K) : If you are looking for a truly exclusive experience near via Montenapoleone and close to the city centre, consider staying at the Armani Hotel Milano.
Choose the suite that best represents you and go shopping in the area in complete comfort.
- Bulgari Hotel Milano (from € 1.1K) : in an accommodation adjacent to Via Montenapoleone there is also the Bulgari Hotel Milano.
In addition to the furnishings and the precious materials used, in this structure you will also find a spa, which includes an indoor swimming pool to regenerate after an intense day of shopping.
FAQ: Questions with answers
Where should you stay in Milan?
Each neighborhood has very different characteristics in Milan.
You should choose based on your personal tastes and the reason for your trip: choose the historic center if it’s your first time in the city, opt for Città Studi if you want to save money, look for accommodation in the Navigli if you love nightlife or in the Sempione area if you travel as a family.
Check into Via Montenapoleone or Corso Buenos Aires if you’re visiting the fashion capital for shopping.
Which area to choose to save money?
The place where I suggest you look for your accommodation in Milan to save money is Città Studi.
In the university area you can find accommodation starting from €29 or excellent accommodation starting from €92 for a double room.
Where to stay near the central station?
If you are interested in looking for accommodation near the Central Station, I suggest you take a look at the Ostello Bello Grande which offers both dormitory beds and rooms with private bathroom, or at the Spice Hotel Milano.
After reading this article I really hope you have found the best area to stay in Milan, based on your personal needs or tastes.
If at this point you still have any doubts or questions that you want to clarify, or you are looking for a type of accommodation or neighborhood that I have not mentioned, simply leave your comment below and I will be happy to help you.