Cheap Malta Travel
You have decided to go on a trip to Malta while paying attention to your budget . This is good because we have prepared the ideal route!
From Valletta to Mdina via Comino and Gozo , in one week, you will have time to visit all the must-sees of Malta without breaking the bank. I also give you all the necessary information for car rental (if you wish) or bus trips!
With our tips for saving and our list of the cheapest (and quality!) Accommodations on the island, go on a trip to Malta on a budget.
At the end of the article, I also give you some tips for finding airline tickets and a rental car at the best price.
And now, we will prepare your stay!
Step 1: Valletta
After landing at Malta Airport , usually late afternoon for an arrival from France, you can reach your hotel directly.
For this 7-day trip to Malta, I’ve selected some hotels near Valletta , specifically in Sliema, because those in the capital are much more expensive (prices start around 75 € per night). You will find the list a little further down in the article.
To reach Sliema , the most economical way is to take the bus. The journey costs 1.50 € for about 50 minutes. At the exit of the airport, you can notably take the bus n ° 71 then the 14 or the bus X4 then the number 16 to join Sliema.
You will notice that I am not talking about a rental car because for this first step you will not need it.
Once arrived, you can finish the day with a stroll in the city to relax and of course to look for a good restaurant to celebrate the beginning of the holidays.
The next day, the serious things begin with the discovery of Valletta. To reach the city, nothing more simple, you just need to take the shuttle that connects Sliema to the capital. The trip lasts 10 minutes for € 2.80 round trip. It’s convenient, fast, cheap, and nice to start the day.
I advise you to start with the most visited place of interest in Valletta, the co-cathedral Saint John. The interior is just sumptuous and it is really the place not to be missed during a stay in Malta . Entry ticket at 10 €, it’s not cheap, but with the Palace of the Grand Masters , these are the only paying entrance to your entire stay. So it’s up to you!
Then you can walk all over the city to see the main places of interest:
- Fort St. Elmo
- The palace of the Grand Masters
- The lower Barrakka Garden
- Upper Barrakka Garden,
- The shopping streets of Republic Street and Merchant Street.
Then to finish the afternoon, walk in the Three Cities which are right in front of Valletta. Here too you will need to take the shuttle that connects the 2 cities , also for 2.80 € go-back. The Three Cities offer magnificent views of Valletta.
Expenses visiting the day per person: 10 € + 5.60 € for shuttles Sliema-Valletta / Valletta- Three Cities.
Cheap accommodation around Valletta (Sliema)
- Inhawi Boutique Hostel : Hostel located 10 minutes walk from the boat to Valletta. Bed in dormitory from 14 € per night, breakfast included. Most: the price, the central and quiet location, the pool, equipment.
- Sliema Marina Hotel : Located directly on Sliema’s seafront, just off the boat ride to Valletta. Double room well renovated from 40 € per night, breakfast surcharge 7 €. Plus: the location, the jacuzzi, the breakfast on the terrace overlooking Valletta.
- Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel : Located near the ferry to Valletta. Modern and bright double room from 49 € per night. Most: the location close to all shops and restaurants, very friendly staff, the jacuzzi on the roof, the breakfast buffet. To book as soon as possible, they leave very quickly!
Step 2: Mellieha
The second leg of this cheap one-week tour takes you to the Mellieha side of northern Malta.
But before that, you have to pick up your rental car at the airport because from now on, it will be very useful. By only renting it now, you have saved 2 days of rent and it will cost you less than 100 € (with full insurance) for the remaining 5 days. Find all my tips for renting lower in the article.
Of course if you wish you can move by bus to save on the price of a car rental. The main cities of Malta are well connected, it is just the schedules that may be a little random. You may also have the time to see less.
It’s up to you to choose the option that suits you best . To help you I tell you how to reach the cities of this route by bus.
On the road before Mellieha, I advise you not to miss:
- Mdina, a fortified city whose ramparts allow to observe a beautiful panorama on Malta
- Rabat the nearby town known to have served as a refuge to the Apostle Saint Paul after his sinking
- Mosta is famous for its gigantic church inspired by the Pantheon of Rome .
In the afternoon, after these rather cultural visits, I propose to devote you to one of the other tourist attractions of the island, the discovery of the beaches of Malta.
And you’re lucky because there are plenty of them in the Mellieha area :
- Paradise Bay
- Gejna Bay
- Ghajn Tuffieha Bay
- Mellieha Bay
So many places where you can swim and snorkel.
Expenses visiting the day: 0 €
- From Mellieha to Mdina: Bus 14 + Bus 52 / Approx. 50 minutes
- From Mdina to Mosta: Bus 202 or Bus 186 / Approx. 30 minute ride
- From Mosta to Mellieha City Center: Bus 42 / Approx. 40 minute ride
- From Mosta to Ghajn Tuffieha Bay Beach: Bus 238 + Bus 101 / Approximate driving time of 35 minutes
The next day, discover the smallest island of Malta, Comino.
From Mellieha , the cheapest option is to drive to Marfa (10 minutes from Mellieha), the starting point of the shuttle to Comino. There are about every half hour and the trip costs 10 € return.
The shuttle will drop you right next to the emblematic place of Comino: the Blue Lagoon , a lagoon with turquoise and transparent water! This is the perfect place to swim.
However it will take a little tighten, in the water as on land, because the lagoon is very busy. It’s also quite noisy, with the day-long mini-cruise boats, heady music and thousands of other tourists who have had the same idea.
However, I recommend going there because the scenery is still top and is a must for a cheap stay in Malta.
And then, do not panic, if you want to enjoy a little peace in your day, just go a few meters away from the Blue Lagoon. You can stroll along the island or go to the other beach of Comino, Santa Maria Bay (this is the only hotel beach on the island).
Expenses visiting the day per person: 10 €
- From Mellieha city center to Marfa (Comino shuttle): Bus 41 or Bus 42 or Bus 221 or Bus 222 / Approx. 10 minutes
Cheap accommodation in Mellieha
- Pergola Hotel & Spa : Located 200 meters from the center of Mellieha. Double room (2 single beds glued) clean and spacious from 27.50 € per night, breakfast 7.95 €. The most: the view, the excellent service, the 3 swimming pools. Our favorite for its benefit / price ratio
- Solana Hotel & Spa : Located on the main street of Mellieha, close to shops and restaurants. Double room modern and comfortable from € 30, breakfast € 7.95. The most: the heated indoor pool, the friendliness of staff, the rich breakfast.
- Paradise Bay Hotel : Located right next to the ferry to Gozo. Large bright double room with sea view from 50 € per night, breakfast included. Most: the situation, the 3 pools including a heated indoor, good breakfast varied.
Step 3: Gozo
For the third leg of this 1 week trip to Malta , I take you to explore Gozo, Malta’s little sister.
From Mellieha, take the ferry to Gozo to Cirkewwa. There are trips very regularly (about every half hour) and the crossing takes about twenty minutes.
Arrived in Gozo, for the program of the day I propose to visit first Victoria and its citadel.
Then go to the North West of Gozo to admire the Fungus Rock, the Inland Sea, the Deep Blue Hole but not the Azure Window, which unfortunately collapsed in 2017.
On the way back to the very photogenic Basilica of Ta’Pinu.
Expenses visiting the day: 0 €
- From Melliha to Cirkewwa (ferry to Gozo): Bus 42 or Bus 221 or Bus 222 / Approx. 20 minutes
- From Mgarr (ferry arrival) to Victoria: Bus 301 / Approx. 20 minute ride
- From Victoria to Fungus Rock, Azure Window: Bus 311 / Approx. 20 minute ride
- From Azure Window to Ta’Pinu Basilica: Bus 311 + Bus 308 / Approx. 30 minute ride
- From the Basilica to Victoria: Bus 308 / Approx. 15 minutes
On the program of the second day in Gozo , I advise you:
- A walk along the salt marshes in Marsalforn
- Discovery of the small canyon of Wied Il Gashri
- A relaxing break on the beaches of Ramla Bay and San Blas Beach
- To admire the sunset at the cliffs of Ta’Cenc
Expenses visiting the day: 0 €
- From Victoria to Marsalforn: Bus 310 / Approx. 17 minutes
- From Marsalforn to Ramla Bay: Bus 322 / Approx. 35 minutes
- From Ramla Bay to San Blas: Bus 302 + Bus 303 / Approx. 40 minute drive
- From San Blas to the cliffs of Ta’Cenc: Bus 303 + Bus 305 / Approx. 1h10
Cheap accommodation in Gozo
- Guesthouse Bambina : Guesthouse located in Xaghra, 10 minutes walk from the beach. Double room with modern decoration and Zen from 40 €. Most: superb house with pool and beautiful views of Gozo, warm welcome, access to the beach on foot, and the price completely unbeatable. Our favorite in Gozo! To book very early!
- Downtown Hotel : Located in the heart of Victoria, the main city of Gozo. Double room from 48 €, per night, breakfast included. Pros: central location, good breakfast, spacious rooms.
Step 4: Marsaxlokk
For the final stage of this inexpensive 7-8 day tour of Malta , you will come back across the island to go further south and get closer to the airport to facilitate your departure the next day.
For this you must take the ferry in the opposite direction. Payment for the crossing is only on return, it will cost you 20 € for a car with 2 passengers for the trip Gozo-Malta.
On the way to Marsaxlokk , I advise you to stop and see 3 places of interest in Malta:
- The village of Popeye which served as a backdrop to the movie Popeye with the famous actor Robin Williams. The small houses on the hill are really cute.
- The cliffs of Dingli which constitutes the culmination of Malta and are the object of a beautiful stroll to admire the landscape
- The blue cave or “Blue Grotto” , famous for its beautiful water color
Arrived at Marsaxlokk you can enjoy a nice lunch at the edge of its small fishing port where are moored typical Maltese boats, luzzis . If it’s a Sunday, you can also shop local produce and souvenirs at the local market.
In the afternoon, discover St Peter’s pool, a natural pool dug by erosion and popular for swimming. The opportunity also to walk by the sea and along the coast.
You can end the day by going to Marsascala where the seaside is well laid out for a walk and where you can also swim.
Total expenses of the day: 20 € for the ferry
- From Cirkewwa to Popeye Village: Bus 101 / Approximate driving time 12 minutes
- From Popeye to Dingli Cliffs : Bus 250 + Bus X3 + Bus 56 or Bus 52 / Approx. 2h
- From Dingli to Blue Grotto: Bus 201 / Approximate driving time 50 minutes
- From Blue Grotto to Marsaxlokk: Bus 201 + Bus 119 / Approx.
- From Marsaxlokk to St Peters Pool: The best is to walk, 2.4 km, about 30 minutes
Cheap accommodation in Marsaxlokk and surroundings
- Xrobb L-Ghajin Hostel : Hostel located near Marsaxlokk, right by the sea. Bed in dormitory from 18 €. The most: the extraordinary view, the kitchen equipment, the comfortable beds.
- Large Apartment – Malta International Airport : Located just 1 km from the airport. Spacious double room from 25 € per night. The most: ideal if you take the plane early in the morning, calm, home owners. There is only one, so book now!
- Port View Guesthouse : Guest house located in Marsaxlokk, a pretty fishing village where is a very tourist market on Sunday. Modern and comfortable double room from 50 € per night, breakfast included. Most: the location by the sea, a good lunch and the perfect home.
Some tips for saving money in Malta
Eating for cheap in Malta
- As you will soon see, in Malta you can eat on a minimal budget . It’s simple, between pizzas or a pasta dish at 7 € and ultra-hearty sandwiches at 3.5 €, you can eat for cheap in any restaurant . The prices are super attractive.
- Taste the traditional pastizzi with ricotta or pea, the most popular snack in Malta. It’s good and they are sold on average 30 cents!
- Change the traditional pizza and taste the Maltese pizza, the ftira even more hearty! Even at 2, difficult to finish it in a meal. An ftira costs between 6 and 8 €.
- Opt for a nice piece of cake for dessert . We ate cheese-cakes (bought in bakery) at 90 cents a share and it was not frozen.
- While in Malta you will eat for cheap, against you will take on the scales! 🙂
Getting around Malta for cheap
- This is not the car rental that will plummet your budget. Less than 100 € for 5 days with full insurance
- The island is very small you will not have much gas costs especially that the tariff is one of the cheapest in Europe
- Take the bus, an unlimited card for the week is 21 € per person
- A bus ride costs between 1.5 € and 2 € depending on the season and is valid for 2 hours
- From the airport, taxi prices are fixed. For example 15 € for Valletta or 20 € for Sliema. To avoid being fooled, you can check out this Malta airport website for fares .
Cheap Malta Travel Deals
Unlike other European destinations such as Spain or Italy , flight prices for Malta are slightly higher. I recommend that you take it as soon as possible to make a reservation.
For example, we left several times in these 2 countries for a return trip to less than 60 € in September. For Malta, we did not find less than 110 €. The price is still very reasonable.
If possible, to visit Malta in 7 days, also avoid the high season from July to August during the summer vacation period. One price will be higher and two, there will be a lot of people. Malta has a very pleasant climate all year, you can come visit the other 10 months of the year without any problem. In addition to the summer vegetation is almost nonexistent, it is much nicer a little earlier or later!
Cheap Malta Travel: Car Rental
This is one of the things that make your trip to Malta a cheap destination . Renting a rental car is very affordable.
I recommend you to go through the website rentalcars.com which compares for you all the Maltese renters in terms of price and customer reviews. You can find rental prices from 35 € for 5 days ! It’s simply the best site to book your rental car (and save money)
If you add the full insurance of Rentalcars.com to 11.5 € per day (which I highly recommend) the total cost of the rental is 93 €.
And do not forget that in Malta we drive to the left , pay attention and be more attentive than usual at the wheel. Put your passenger in particular in the roundabouts and parking exits!
To compare car rental prices in Malta now, click here .