Where to stay in Menorca: our selection of the best accommodation
Have you decided to visit Menorca, in the Balearic Islands and are wondering where to stay?
You are in the right place!
Although the island is small, it’s still quite difficult to choose the ideal accommodation if you don’t know Menorca!
To help you, I have prepared my guide to the best hotels to sleep in Menorca according to your budget.
I have therefore classified the accommodation by town and by geographical area and I give you each time the strong points and the most beautiful beaches nearby.
Whether you are looking for a hotel in Mahon or Ciutadella, the main cities, or in the North or South of the island, you will find what you are looking for here!
So where to stay in Menorca to visit and enjoy the beaches?
Where to stay in Menorca – Mahon, the capital
During your trip to Menorca, you can choose to sleep in Mahon, the capital of the island.
It is located in the east of the island and it is also where Menorca airport is located.
Do not expect to find huge buildings like in big capitals such as Rome, London or Amsterdam. Along with Valletta, Malta, Mahon is among the smallest capitals in Europe.
It has retained an authentic and traditional atmosphere with its many small shops and boutiques and its pedestrian streets.
It is a very pleasant place to stay in Menorca.
In Mahon, you can discover:
- The covered market which is located in an old cloister: el mercat del claustre
- The fish market where there are many stalls of fresh fish but also a more gastronomic part where you can taste excellent tapas
- The Menorca Museum dedicated to the history of the island
- The Santa Maria church, to see for its organ of more than 3200 pipes.
I also recommend that you take the short boat trip that leaves from the port of Mahon, below the old town. The boat tour takes place in the bay of Mahon and will allow you to admire the colonial houses, some small islands and the impressive fortress of La Mola.
The latter is also one of the essential places to visit during your itinerary in Menorca. If you want to know more, you will find the information in my other article: What to do and see in Menorca?
To book your boat trip to Mahon here.
Where to stay in Mahon, the capital of Menorca?
Mahon is the ideal place to stay in Menorca if you are not a fan of beach resorts and are looking for a more romantic than family atmosphere.
- Hostal La Isla: Located in the historic center. Comfortable and modern double room from €100, breakfast at €6. Most: the friendliness of the managers, the cleanliness, the location. An excellent choice where to stay in Menorca!
- Eurohotel: Located in the heart of Mahon, this small, unpretentious establishment offers fairly basic but very clean rooms from €110 per night. Most: the friendliness of the staff, the location close to the city center.
- Catalonia Mirador des Port: Located not far from the Menorca Museum, in the center of Mahon. Spacious and comfortable double room with a nice view from 130€ per night. Most: the swimming pool, the jacuzzi, the varied breakfast.
- ARTIEM Capri: Modern and well-equipped double room, with comfortable bedding, from €160, breakfast included. The pluses: the swimming pool and jacuzzi on the roof, cold drinks and unlimited free snacks served in the Green space, the hearty breakfast. One of the best hotels to sleep in Menorca!
- Boutique Hotel Sant Roc & Spa: Located 5 minutes walk from the port. Elegant and welcoming double room from €250 per night, breakfast at €16. Most: the friendliness of the staff, the à la carte breakfast, ideally placed. One of the most beautiful hotels to stay in Mahon, during your stay in Menorca!
- Bordoy Casa Ládico – Hotel Boutique Adults Only: This 5* hotel offers superb suites with terrace, with refined decoration from €330 per night, breakfast included. Most: the caring staff, intimate hotel, the swimming pool, the homemade breakfast and to the minute. This is our recommendation for a luxury hotel to stay in Mahon.
Where to stay in Menorca – Ciutadella, historic city
Second city to stay in Menorca: Ciutadella. It is located completely opposite Mahon, to the west of the island.
Just like the capital, it is a small town with preserved authenticity which is home to a very pretty historic centre. There are mainly beautiful bourgeois houses, several churches and a few places ideal for taking a break.
You will also find something to eat in one of the many small traditional restaurants.
To see in Ciutadella, during your road trip to Menorca:
- Stately homes and small palaces
- The shopping street of Ses Voltes with its shops located under the arcades
- The town hall and its obelisk in Es Born square
- The fish market
- The cathedral of Ciutadella.
Accommodation in Ciutadella during your holidays in Menorca
- Hostel Menorca: Hostel located in the center of Ciutadella. Bed in dormitory from 30€ per night. Ideal for cheap accommodation in Menorca.
- Hotel Geminis: Located 2 minutes walk from the old town. Double room from €90, breakfast at €4.50. Most: the very good welcome, the good breakfast, the calm.
- Prinsotel La Caleta : Located 5 minutes walk from the beach. Super comfortable and bright double room or apartment, with balcony, from €150 per night, breakfast included. Most: the beautiful pool area and its garden, the setting, the calm, the excellent breakfast. It is our favorite for its price/performance ratio where to stay in Menorca!
- Hotel Gran Sagitario: Located 5 minutes walk from Cala Santandria. Very spacious double room with large bay windows and balcony from €175, breakfast included. Most: 2 swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), gym, private parking, access to the beach on foot.
- Aparthotel Ferrer Skyline: Located just in front of the sea and 1 km from the historic center of Ciutadella. Modern, very spacious 1 to 3 bedroom apartment with terrace that can accommodate up to 6 people, from €180 per night. Most: the swimming pools, the view, the cleanliness, the calm. A great hotel to stay in Menorca with the family!
- Hotel Playa Santandria Adults Only: Located 5 meters from Cala Santandria cove. Double room with balcony and some with sea view, from €180, breakfast included. Most: the exceptional location on the beach, the very good breakfast, the calm. Ideal for a couple’s stay in Menorca!
- Faustino Gran Relais & Chateaux : Superb luxury hotel located in a magnificent 17th century building. Everything is elegant, refined and neat. Double room from €400 per night, breakfast included. The pluses: the decoration, the quality of the catering, the swimming pools, the spa, the concierge. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Ciutadella!
Where to stay in Menorca – The South coast and its superb coves
The South Coast is also an excellent choice where to stay in Menorca. This is where the main seaside resorts of Menorca are concentrated.
They are 4 in number:
- Cala Galdana
- Sant Tomas
- Son Bou
- Cala’n Porter
If you want to take the opportunity to shine all over the island, discover some of the most beautiful beaches in Menorca easily and take one or two boat trips, these are perfect places to stay in Menorca.
If there is a boat trip to do in the south of Menorca, it is the one that allows you to pass through the superb coves of Son Saura, Cala en Turqueta, Cala Macarella and Cala Macarelleta.
To find out more and especially to book in advance here.
Here is my selection of the best hotels to stay in the South of Menorca
In the south of Menorca you will find many small complexes divided into individual houses, which are themselves divided into apartments.
If you are looking for where to stay in Menorca with family, children or friends, I recommend that you choose this type of accommodation.
You will have access to all the facilities such as the swimming pool( s) , restaurants, playgrounds and in general a small supermarket . During the tourist season, some also offer entertainment.
And don’t panic if you’re a couple, just ask for a location away from the playground or the swimming pool to be quiet right away.
My selection of accommodation in the south of Menorca also includes 2 superb hotels for a romantic stay.
- Son Bou Playa Gold: Located 10 min walk from the large beach of Son Bou. Several small houses divided into apartments. The superior apartments have been refurbished and fitted out with taste, from 80€ per night. Most: the calm, the swimming pool, well equipped, numerous parking spaces. It is our favorite for its price/performance ratio in Menorca!
- Seth Mestral & Llebeig: Located 100 meters from Santo Tomas beach. Recent, functional and well-equipped apartments with 1 to 3 bedrooms from €120 per night. It is also possible to book half-board. The pluses: the large well-maintained swimming pools, the games for children, the beach right next to it. If you have chosen to visit Menorca with children, this is the perfect accommodation!
- Menorca Binibeca by Pierre & Vacances Premium Adults Only: Located in the village of Binibeca. Cozy double room with kitchenette, jacuzzi bath and large terrace from €160, breakfast included. Most: the breathtaking sea view, the superb setting, the swimming pools, the good breakfast buffet.
- ARTIEM Audax – Adults Only: Located in Cala Galdana, just 2 minutes from the beach. Double room from €240, breakfast included. Most: the spa area with its indoor pools and saunas, the outdoor pool, the magnificent view.
- Melia Cala Galdana: Located on the beautiful beach of Cala Galdana, this 5* hotel offers very cozy rooms with large bay windows and balconies with sea views from €310 per night, breakfast included. Most: the indoor and outdoor pools, the friendliness of the staff, the excellent quality of the breakfast, the incredible view. This is our recommendation for a luxury hotel in the south of Menorca!
Where to stay in Menorca – The North coast and its beaches
You can also choose to stay in the North of Menorca. In this area, most accommodation is concentrated around the villages of Fornells and Arena d’en Castell.
This part of Menorca is the ideal place to stay if you are looking for less touristy areas. It is also just as practical for getting around easily and visiting the whole island.
Staying in the North of Menorca will allow you to:
- Taste Menorca’s most famous dish in Fornells: la caldereta de langosta
- Pass by the Cavalleria lighthouse and the Favaritx lighthouse to admire the view of the coast
- Sunbathe on the long sandy beach of Es Grau
- Discover the superb beaches of Cavalleria and Pregonda
From Fornells you will also have the choice of many boat trips such as (click on the link in orange for more information):
- Catamaran cruise on the north coast of Menorca with snorkeling stop – Max of 10 people on the boat – The crew is also super friendly and you will have unlimited drinks.
- Full day sailing trip on beaches only accessible by boat + lunch included – Provision of paddle and masks/snorkels.
- 3h30 cruise on the beaches of the North coast, towards Cap Cavalleria + swimming in Cala Pregonda
- Sailboat sunset cruise
The best places to stay in the North of Menorca
- Hostal La Palma : Located on the marina of Fornells. Fairly spacious double room with balcony overlooking the swimming pool and the garden from €110. Most: 2 swimming pools, great location, very quiet, free parking.
- TRH Tirant Playa : Located 5 min walk from Cala Tirant, in Fornells. Pleasant apartment with kitchenette from €130 per night. Most: tranquility, sea view, cleanliness.
- White Sands Beach Club By Diamond Resorts : Located in Arenal d’En Castell, on the edge of the beach. Apartment with 1 to 2 bedrooms, modern and well equipped from 185€ per night. The pluses: the quality of the welcome, the swimming pool with a view of the bay, the comfort.
- Comitas Tramontana Park : Located in Fornells, right by the sea. Aparthotel offering spacious 3-bedroom accommodation with fully equipped kitchen and lounge area, from €200, breakfast included. Most: the beautiful swimming pool, the magnificent sunset from the terrace, the good restaurant buffet, the entertainment.
Where to stay in Menorca – The luxury hotels
If you are looking for a luxury hotel to sleep in during your stay in Menorca, here is the list of the most beautiful 5* hotels on the island.
First, those I already told you about a little above. I won’t give the details but here are the booking links:
- Bordoy Casa Ládico – Adults Only Boutique Hotel – A Mahon
- Faustino Gran Relais & Chateaux – A Ciutadella
- Melia Cala Galdana – In Cala Galdana (South of Menorca)
The other luxury hotels spread all over the island:
- Villa Le Blanc, a Gran Meliá Hotel – The Leading Hotels of The World: le long de la belle plage de Santo Tomas
- Lago Resort Menorca – Suites del Lago Adults Only à Cala’n Bosch
- La Quinta Menorca by PortBlue Boutique – Adults Only, also in Cala’n Bosch
- Barceló Nura à Sant Lluis
- Cristine Bedfor à Mahon
- S’Hotelet d’es Born – Suites & SPA, in Ciutadella
Where to stay in Menorca on budget
If you have a smaller budget, here is a selection of some cheap accommodation in Menorca.
- Refugi Biniati Vell: Youth hostel located in Sant Lluis. Bunk bed in a dormitory of 4 from €30. A good place to stay in Menorca on the cheap.
- Grupoandria El Claustre de Ciutadella – HOSPEDERIA: Located in an old cloister. Room with twin beds from €60. Pros: location and cleanliness.
- Hostal Paris Ciutadella: Guest house located in Ciutadella. Room from 70€ per night. Most: the good breakfast and the welcome.
- Apartamentos Sa Cala: Located in Cala Morell. 1 bedroom apartment with balcony and access to the beach in 5 minutes on foot, from 75€. Most: the proximity of the sea, the swimming pool.
- Apartamentos Blancala: Located in Cala Blanca, just in front of the sea. 1 or 2 bedroom apartments from 79€. Most: the view, the equipment, the swimming pool, the calm.
- Apartamentos Casa del Sol, also located in Cala Blanca. Apartment 10 minutes walk from the beaches from 80€. Most: the swimming pool, the quiet area, easy parking, the friendliness of the owners.
So where are you going to stay in Menorca? Which hotel appeals to you the most?
Are you going to Menorca? Read also
- What to do in Menorca? The top 17 best things to do
- Itinerary: A week in Menorca – The ideal itinerary to visit the island in 7 days