Visit Corsica in 7 days: Recommended Itinerary
Have you chosen to leave for 7 or 8 days in Corsica?
In order to help you organize your stay, I have prepared a 7 or 8 days Corsica itinerary which will allow you to discover the towns and places of unmissable interest in Northern Corsica.
Small note: If you prefer to visit the South of Corsica ( Bonifacio, Porto-Vecchio, Ajaccio ), it is in my other article: Visiting South Corsica in 1 week (click here).
And if you prefer to spend 1 week in Corsica staying in one place, click here.
During your circuit in Corsica, you will have the opportunity to visit Cap Corse, Saint-Florent and the desert of Agriates, Calvi, Porto, Corte and Bastia.
In this guide, I give you all my best advice for 7-8 days Corsica itinerary, with for each stage, the visits of the day, travel times and my selection of the best hotels according to your budget.
So, what to do and see in Corsica in 7 days?
Arrival in Bastia
To visit Haute-Corse in 7 days, the most practical is to arrive in Bastia.
It is the best served city in the North of the island, it has an airport and a port. You can compare the prices of flights to Bastia or ferries at the end of the article in the section “Leaving for Corsica”.
Boats or planes really arriving at random times and sometimes very late (I arrived at 11 p.m. on my trip), you may have to spend a night in Bastia before really starting your 7 days Corsica itinerary. That’s why I’m giving you my list of the best hotels in Bastia below.
If you have decided to leave for 7 days in Corsica, it is also imperative to rent a car to go around this part of the island.
If you arrive early enough in Bastia, I advise you to go directly to Cap Corse and spend the first night in Macinaggio (only 1 hour drive to the North). It will be more convenient for the next day.
Accommodation in Bastia
- Best Western Bastia Centre: Located 1 km from the Old Port and the city centre. Spacious and very clean double room from €75 per night, breakfast at €11.50. Most: the comfort of the rooms, the private car park, the very pleasant staff. It is our favorite for its performance / price ratio in Bastia!
- Hotel Port Toga: Located just opposite the ferry arrival and departure port. Modern double room with comfortable bedding from €85 per night. Most: the roof terrace, the view of the sea, the good breakfast. This is the ideal hotel for a ferry arrival or departure in Bastia!
- Hotel Restaurant & Spa L’Ostella: Located 4 km from the center and 500 meters from the beach. Warm and comfortable double room, some with a balcony with sea view, from €90 per night, breakfast at €12.50. Most: the caring staff, the excellent restaurant, the wellness center with indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi.
- Alivi: Located 350 meters from the beach and 2 km from the center of Bastia. Double room with terrace overlooking the sea from €135, breakfast at €16. Most: the pool, the setting, the view, the restaurant. This is our recommendation for an upscale stay in Bastia!
- Hôtel Des Gouverneurs: located in the citadel, 2 minutes walk from the Old Port. Elegant and cozy double room from €180, breakfast at €19. Most: the view of Bastia and the sea, the geographical location, the availability of staff, the indoor swimming pool. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Bastia!
Day 1: Cap Corse
To start your 7-8 day tour in Corsica, I suggest you start in style with a hike in Cap Corse.
From Macinaggio (which you will have reached the day before or this morning), 1 hour by road from Bastia, you can take the famous coastal footpath.
The “long version” of this hike is 19 km (from Macinaggio to Centuri), but I suggest you do only part of it: from Macinaggio to Barcaggio.
You can walk by the sea and walk along this part of Cap Corse. The landscapes and viewpoints are truly superb, as are the various beaches and coves, where you can swim to refresh yourself along the way.
The departure of the customs trail is from the end of Macinaggio beach and it takes about 3h30 on foot to reach Barcaggio. I still advise you to plan a little more with the swimming and picnic stop!
For the return, from Barcaggio, you have 2 options:
- On foot, going back to the chapel of Santa Maria. Arrived there, I advise you to take the path which passes inland and which allows you to reduce the walking time on the way back by almost 1 hour.
- By boat: a company offers a few trips at fixed times between Macinaggio and Barcaggio. A really nice way to contemplate Cap Corse from a new angle and enjoy a short cruise at sea, relaxing after the effort of walking. You will find all the information on this shuttle here.
Spend the night in Macinaggio.
Tips for your Corsica itinerary:
If walking isn’t really your thing, you can replace the customs officers’ path hike with a commented cruise.
Still departing from Macinaggio, this boat tour allows you to discover Cap Corse and its Genoese towers, the Finocchiarola archipelago and Barcaggio. A swimming stop is also on the program!
Information on this Cap Corse cruise can be found here.
Do not hesitate to go through the tourist office which is located on the port of Macinaggio to get a map of Cap Corse.
Stay at Cap Corse / Macinaggio
- Marina D’oro: Located on the port of Macinaggio, 100 meters from the beach. Double room with sober decoration from €70, breakfast at €7.50. Most: terrace with Jacuzzi, location near restaurants and shops.
- Adonis Macinaggio: Located opposite the port. Studio and apartment with kitchenette and balcony overlooking the garden or the sea from €75. Most: refurbished accommodation, cleanliness, free private parking.
- Stella Marina: Located 100 meters from the port. Renovated, modern and bright double room with a large terrace, from €78, breakfast at €9.50. Most: the swimming pool, the calm, the private car park, the warm welcome. It is our favorite for its performance / price ratio in Macinaggio!
- Hotel U Ricordu: Located 150 meters from the port. Modern and welcoming double room from €80, breakfast at €14. The pluses: the 2 heated outdoor swimming pools, the jacuzzi, the comfort of the bedding, the calm.
- Le Tomino: Located on the heights of Macinaggio. Very comfortable and spacious suite with private terrace and sea view from €345, breakfast €19. Most: the infinity pool, the exceptional view of the bay, the restaurant, the calm and relaxing environment. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Cap Corse!
Day 2: Cap Corse / Saint-Florent
The next day, for the continuation of your stay of 7-8 days in Corsica, I suggest you drive along the other side of Cap Corse by car and reach Saint-Florent quietly.
During this day, you can take the time to discover the pretty typical villages of Cap Corse and enjoy the panorama of the sea.
I advise you to follow the following route:
- Take the D80 to the Moulin Mattei viewpoint (20 min from Macinaggio) which offers a very beautiful panorama over Centuri, the islet of Capense and as far as the Agriates desert.
- Descend to the port of Centuri
- Passage par Morsiglia
- Pino where you can go down to the Saint Francis convent to see the marina di Scalu and its small stone houses by the sea
- Passage through the hamlet of Minerviu where there is an imposing vault built according to the model of the Pantheon in Rome
- Canari and its belvedere overlooking the sea at the level of the clock tower
- Visit the village of Nonza, famous for its huge black pebble beach
- Farinole beach, a large, rather pleasant sandy beach with shallow water. Ideal for a swimming break
- Patrimonio known for producing the PDO Patrimonio wine. You will find several wine estates there and the village is part of the Corsican wine route.
From Patrimonio, then join your last stage of the day: Saint-Florent.
You can take a walk in the alleys, along the port and climb up to the citadel which offers a beautiful view of the Gulf of Saint-Florent.
And if you want to end the day at the beach, head for Roya beach, to the left of the port. In Saint-Florent, you can also practice several activities such as jet skiing, parasailing, paddle or flyboard.
Spend the night in Saint-Florent.
Tips for your Corsica itinerary:
To visit Saint-Florent, it is best to park your car and do everything on foot.
You will find a parking lot at the port level (paying in summer) and a free parking zone at the level of the citadel or the stadium. South of the port, you can also park for free along the D81 road.
Accommodation in Saint-Florent
- Adonis Saint-Florent: Located 600 meters from the center of Saint-Florent. Air-conditioned studios and apartments with kitchenette and balcony from €70, breakfast at €9.50. Most: the swimming pool, the cleanliness, the price/performance ratio. This is the best choice for an economical stay in Saint-Florent!
- Hotel Tettola: Located 1.5 km from the port of Saint-Florent. Double room from 90€. Most: the swimming pool, the situation in front of the sea and access to the beach, the friendliness of the staff.
- U Palazzu Serenu: Very nice charming hotel located in Oletta, just 10 minutes by car from Saint-Florent. Overlooking the gulf and the Agriates desert, the hotel, a former 17th century palace, offers splendid, elegant and spacious rooms decorated with original works of art. Intimate setting guaranteed with only 6 rooms and 2 suites, which means you should book as soon as possible to be sure you can stay there! From €180 in low season and €340 in summer, breakfast included. Most: the large outdoor swimming pool, the magnificent view (and even more so at sunset), the warm welcome, the calm. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Saint-Florent!
Day 3-4: The Agriates desert / Calvi
Today I invite you to discover one of the essential places of a 7-day Northern Corsica itinerary: the Agriates desert.
To get there, it’s very simple, you just have to take a sea shuttle from the port of Saint-Florent. In barely 30 minutes, you will reach one of the 2 splendid beaches of the Agriates desert:
- Saleccia beach
- Lotu beach
Fine sand, turquoise water, don’t forget your swimsuit and sunscreen to enjoy a moment of relaxation and swimming on these beaches ranked among the top 10 of the most beautiful beaches in Corsica!
As the boat will drop you off at one of the beaches, you can then walk to the other either:
- By an interior path (45 minutes on foot)
- Along the seaside, it’s nicer but longer: 1h20 walk.
The option of staying only on one of them is of course possible if you don’t feel like walking.
And if you want to treat yourself with a great day on a boat in the Agriates desert, I advise you to choose this luxury sailboat cruise.
The captain will take you swimming in the most beautiful places of Agriates and you will enjoy an excellent lunch consisting of typical Corsican dishes (concocted by one of the best farm inns on the island).
This sailing cruise being extremely popular, it is imperative to book (very) in advance!
To book your sailing cruise in the Agriates desert, just click here.
Finally, always to visit the Agriates desert during your 7-day stay in Haute-Corse, you can also embark on a zodiac. The outing, which lasts about 5 hours, includes stops for swimming on the 2 beaches of Agriates.
You have all the information by clicking here.
Tips for your Corsica itinerary:
To make your day in the Agriates desert truly unforgettable, I recommend that you opt for a private VIP day trip.
This is the best way to make the most of your visit!
You rent a boat with a skipper, and he will take you to the most beautiful corners of the Agriates desert.
Motor boat, sailboat, catamaran or even yacht: it’s up to you to choose the boat that suits you to spend a dream day!
In any case, I recommend that you rent your boat with skipper as far in advance as possible, because as you can imagine, this type of VIP day at sea is extremely in demand, and it would be a shame not to have room!
After enjoying this heavenly setting, take the boat back to Saint-Florent, then get in the car to reach your stopover for the next 2 nights: Calvi, about 1h30 by car.
Depending on the time you spent in the Agriates desert, you can make a few stops on the road between the 2 towns.
Halfway, I advise you to go and see Ostriconi beach. This large sandy beach bordered by marshes is really pleasant and very nice. You will have a nice view of it from the top of the road.
Between Saint-Florent and Calvi are also the 2 seaside resorts of Ile Rousse and Algajola.
Finally, just before arriving in Calvi, you will cross the pretty balcony village of Lumio, which, for the record, is the place where Laeticia Casta spent part of her childhood.
Spend the night in Calvi.
Today, for the continuation of this 7-day Corsica itinerary, I suggest you visit Calvi and its surroundings.
Start by climbing to the citadel of Calvi. Overlooking the city and the sea, it offers beautiful views.
During your walk, you will be able to discover:
- The Saint-Jean Baptiste church: classified as a historical monument, it houses the Christ of Miracles and Our Lady of the Rosary, 2 statues venerated by the inhabitants
- The former palace of the Genoese governors from the 15th century
- Saint Anthony’s Oratory
- The ruins of Christopher Columbus’ birthplace (according to legend, as he was officially born 10 years later in Genoa)
On leaving the citadel, continue your discovery of Calvi through the lower town which is full of souvenir shops and local crafts. You can also walk past the Sainte-Marie Majeure church and take a trip to the covered market located just next door to find some Corsican specialties.
Finish your walk by the marina whose quay is lined with restaurants and cafes. Perfect for eating on the terrace at lunchtime!
For the rest of the day, I let you choose according to your desires and centers of interest:
1) A quiet afternoon at Calvi beach.
At the end of the port and bordered by the pine forest, it offers more than 4 km of fine sand where you can lay your towel. You can take the opportunity to treat yourself to a session of nautical activity: paddle, kayak, windsurfing, towed buoy, the choice is yours!
2) A hike in the forest of Bonifatu, 30 minutes by car from Calvi.
There are several trails of varying difficulty and duration.
In any case, at the end of your walk, be sure to join the river to swim in the natural pools. The place is really great and ideal if you are doing this 7 day trip to Corsica with your children.
3) Another nice walk, that of the tip of Revellata, 10 km northwest of Calvi.
You can take the coastal footpath that leads to the lighthouse and contemplate the view of Calvi and the coast all along the route. And to top it off, there are small coves where you can swim and a pretty, fairly quiet white sand beach : the Alga beach.
After the Revellata, be sure to reach the chapel of Notre-Dame de la Serra which is opposite. It offers one of the most beautiful panoramas over the entire bay of Calvi!
And if you don’t feel like walking, I advise you to do this quad ride with a 2-hour guided tour. You can book it by clicking here.
4) Discover La Revellata from the sea by opting for a cruise departing from the port of Calvi.
The outing also includes a swimming stop at Alga beach and a Corsican aperitif to savor while watching the sunset over the bay.
To book this boat trip to La Revellata at sunset, just click here.
Spend a second night in Calvi.
Accommodation in Calvi
- Le Saint Erasme: Located 850 meters from the port on the seafront. Double room well equipped with good bedding from 70€ per night, breakfast at 10€. Most: the swimming pool, the free private parking, the welcoming staff.
- Camping La Pinède: Located just 200 meters from Calvi beach. Chalet and bungalow fully equipped, very functional and air-conditioned, with private terrace from 70€ per night. Most: swimming pool, tennis courts, playground, free parking. It is the ideal place for a family holiday in Calvi!
- Hotel Revellata: Located 450 meters from the port. Design and comfortable double room from 85€ per night, breakfast at 12€. The pluses: outdoor and indoor swimming pool, the Spa, the gym, the view, the excellent breakfast. It is our favorite for its price/performance ratio in Calvi!
- Hotel Casa Bianca: Located 250 meters from the beach. Spacious and modern double room from €100, breakfast at €12. Most: the location, the welcoming staff, the comfort of the rooms.
- La Signoria: 5* hotel located 3 km from Calvi beach. Warm and spacious suite with dressing room, marble bathroom and terrace from €320 per night, breakfast included. The pluses: the gourmet restaurant, the Spa, the swimming pool, the calm, the exceptional breakfast. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Calvi!
Day 5: Porto / Scandola / Calanques de Piana
We continue this 7-8 day circuit in Corsica by going down a little further south to the village of Porto. Allow 2 hours by road from Calvi.
Porto is the starting point for boat trips to discover 2 splendid natural sites listed as World Heritage by UNESCO:
- The Scandola nature reserve, the two parts of which, land and sea, are home to exceptional flora and fauna. Access is strictly protected, it is only possible to visit it by boat.
- The creeks of Piana and its huge red porphyry rocks with amazing shapes sculpted by erosion.
The complete boat tour lasts 4 hours and also includes a stop at the old fishing village of Girolata, only accessible by boat or on foot. For me, this is the most beautiful boat trip to do during a 7-day stay in Haute-Corse!
These cruises are in high demand and it is imperative to book them in advance!
You will have the choice between 2 types of boats:
- A hybrid vessel with electric propulsion, specially designed to limit the impact on the environment.
The cruise that I have selected for you is GetYourGuide Originals certified, which means that it is so good that it is guaranteed satisfied or refunded!
This excursion can be booked directly by clicking here.
- An inflatable boat whose capacity is limited to 12 people.
You can book this outing by clicking here.
Spend the night in Porto.
Tips for your Corsica itinerary:
For the full 4-hour cruise to Scandola, Girolata and the creeks of Piana, departures are around 9 a.m. or 2 p.m.
Plan your departure from Calvi carefully so as not to miss the afternoon cruise. I recommend that you leave around 10 a.m. at the most to do the 2 hour drive, eat in Porto and board the boat.
Accommodation in Porto
- Hotel and Residence Cala di sole: Located 1.2 km from the port of Porto. Double room with balcony from 80€. Most: the swimming pool, the sea and mountain view, the warm welcome. Perfect for an affordable stay in Porto!
- Hotel Le Romantique: Located just 100 meters from Porto beach. Spacious double room with a small balcony and a view of the port from €90, breakfast at €9.50. Most: the pleasant staff, the location for visiting the creeks by boat, the hearty breakfast.
- Logis Hotel Le Lonca: Located 2 km from the port and 1 km from the beach. Clean and spacious double room from €100, breakfast at €11. Most: the swimming pool, the private car park, the breakfast on the terrace, the staff with good advice.
- Les Flots Bleus: Located on the seafront. Recently renovated double room with balcony overlooking the sea from €105 per night, breakfast €10. Most: the sublime view, the setting, the very warm welcome. It is our favorite for its price/performance ratio!
- Résidence Hotelière Capu Seninu: Located on the banks of the river, towards the port. Modern and ultra well equipped studio and apartment with dishwasher, washing machine and a balcony from 160€. Most: spacious and well decorated accommodation, private parking. It is the ideal hotel for a family stay because it can accommodate up to 6 people!
Day 6: Corte
For the penultimate day of your 7-day Corsica road trip, this stage takes you back inland and central Corsica, to Corte.
There is a 2 hour drive between Porto and Corte but I advise you not to drive directly. There are several things you can do before arriving in Corte (it’s up to you according to your desires).
In particular, you can:
- Go through the Aitone forest known for its huge centuries-old pines and its river offering beautiful natural pools. 40 minutes from Porto.
- Hike Lac de Nino: the second largest lake in Corsica is surrounded by pozzines, typical of the Corsican mountains. It takes 5 hours of walking round trip from the forest house of Popaghja.
- Go down to swim at the Radule waterfalls, accessible in 1 hour on foot
- Bathe in the Golo River at the Albertacce stone bridge
- Discover Lake Calacuccia, in the Niolo region
After passing the lake, you will enter the defile of Scala di Santa Regina where the road passes between narrow rock walls and gorges at the bottom of which flows the Golo. An impressive and wild setting, among the most beautiful landscapes on the island.
Once in Corte, I suggest you visit the city on foot.
Head first to the citadel which houses the Regional Museum of Anthropology of Corsica on the history of the island. Well done, it is interesting to visit and it is also the only way to have access to the Eagle’s Nest and its point of view.
Leaving the museum, go to the belvedere to admire the view of the citadel and the surroundings of Corte.
Then go back down to the pedestrian alleys passing by the Ghionga grocery store, one of the oldest in Europe and you arrive at Place Gaffory where the Church of the Annunciation is located .
Then continue to the Sainte-Croix chapel, classified as a historic monument, then finish the walk in Corte by the Cours Paoli, the main artery of the city with its restaurants and shops.
Spend a night in Corte.
Tips for your Corsica itinerary:
For your dinner in Corte, I highly recommend the restaurant La rivière des Vins, which is located at 5 ramp Sainte-Croix.
They specialize in meats cooked over a wood fire, but all the dishes (the burger is excellent!) are delicious and plentiful, and a good extra point served with homemade fries.
And the icing on the cake are their delicious homemade desserts which are also really very generous: special mention for the tiramisu!
Accommodation in Corte
- Maison San Giovanni: Located 3 km from the center of Corte. Nice and clean double room from 60€ per night, breakfast included. Most: the great welcome, the good breakfast with fresh products, the calm. It is our favorite for its price/performance ratio in Corte!
- U Passa Tempu: Located in the center of Corte, right next to the Sainte-Croix chapel. Well-equipped studios and apartments with kitchenette and quiet, from €90 per night. Most: location, calm, private parking, warm welcome.
- Hotel Si Mea: Located 15 minutes walk from the center. Spacious and warm double room from 120€ per night. Most: the swimming pool, the hearty breakfast based on local products, the pleasant environment.
- Casa di a Restonica: Located 1 km from the center. Comfortable and modern double room from €140, breakfast at €14. Most: the swimming pool, the comfort, the calm of the place.
- Hôtel Dominique Colonna: This 4* hotel is located 1 km from Corte, on the banks of the river. Very designer double room with refined decoration from €400, breakfast included. Most: the very beautiful swimming pool, the terrace at the water’s edge, the idyllic setting, the lovely staff. This is our recommendation for a luxury stay in Corte!
You will also find the list of all campsites near Corte and can easily book online by clicking on the button below.
Day 7: Return to Bastia
Here you are on the seventh and last day of this 7-day Corsica itinerary and that unfortunately means that you will have to return to Bastia.
Count about 1h15 to reach the airport or the port.
Depending on your departure time, you can take the opportunity to discover Bastia a bit:
- Place Saint-Nicolas
- Napoleon Street
- The old Port
- The Citadel
Tips for your Corsica itinerary:
For a 6-day itinerary in Northern Corsica, you can reach Saint-Florent directly from Bastia, without going through the east coast of Cap Corse (do not do stage 1 of this guide, the hike to Cap Corse).
To visit Northern Corsica in 8 days, I advise you to spend an extra day in Calvi or add a day in Corte to hike the Gorges de la Restonica.
Are you going to Corsica, Read also
Discover all our articles on Corsica: all articles on Corsica are listed here.
- What to do in Corsica? The Top 20 Best Things to Do and See
- Itinerary: A week in Corsica – The perfect itinerary to visit the South of Corsica
- Itinerary: 5 days in Corsica – The ideal circuit to visit Corsica in 10 days
- Best Accommodation in Corsica