Is the New York Subway Safe?
The New York City subway system is one of the largest and busiest in the world, with millions of passengers riding it every day. However, the subway system has also gained a reputation for being unsafe, particularly at night. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the safety of the New York subway system and explore what you can do to stay safe while riding it.
Understanding the Numbers
According to the latest statistics from the New York Police Department (NYPD), crime on the subway has decreased in recent years. In 2020, there were 2,475 reported crimes on the subway, which is a 44% decrease from the previous year. However, while the numbers are decreasing, there are still concerns about crime on the subway, particularly when it comes to violent crime.
Staying Safe on the Subway
Here are a few tips to stay safe on the New York subway:
- Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to who is around you and avoid walking alone in isolated areas of the subway, particularly late at night.
- Use well-lit subway cars: Try to ride in subway cars that are well-lit and have other passengers in them.
- Keep your belongings close: Keep your belongings close to you at all times, and be aware of pickpockets and other thieves.
- Use emergency intercoms: If you feel threatened or see something suspicious, use the emergency intercoms located in each subway car to contact the train operator.
- Report any incidents: If you witness a crime or are a victim of a crime on the subway, report it to the NYPD as soon as possible.
It’s also important to note that the New York subway system has a large police presence, with officers patrolling stations and riding trains. There are also emergency call boxes located at every subway station, as well as surveillance cameras in many locations.
While the New York subway system has gained a reputation for being unsafe, the numbers show that crime on the subway has been decreasing in recent years. By being aware of your surroundings, using well-lit subway cars, keeping your belongings close, using emergency intercoms, and reporting any incidents to the NYPD, you can stay safe while riding the New York subway. Remember to always be vigilant and take necessary precautions to ensure your safety.
New York Crime Rate – Is New York City Safe?