Where to Stay in Florence: Advice on the Best Area
You have chosen to visit the Tuscan capital and now you would like some advice on where to stay in Florence?
And how can one object to such a wise choice! In fact, you must know that it is important that you are aware of the characteristics of the city’s neighborhoods, choosing the ones that best suit you and your personal needs.
For example, would you like to know which area to choose to be near the train station?
Or the cheapest, most practical and in a good position to leave the car?
In short, there are some things you should know before choosing where to stay in Florence, including an (infallible) method to find the best offers for your dates.
You can’t wait to find out more, right?
Well then let’s get straight to the point!
Where to stay in central Florence: advice
I want to reassure you right away: choosing the area to stay in in Florence won’t be a big problem.
In principle, the whole center (shown in the map below) is in a good position to visit the city comfortably on foot.
The sore point of Florence, however, is the cost of accommodation which can be quite high.
If possible, carefully choose the period in which to visit, avoiding the high season that characterizes spring and summer weekends.
If this is not possible, take advantage of the current offers to enjoy the best value for money.
By connecting to this offers page and entering your destination and dates, you will be able to find the best offers for staying in Florence.
Well, now leave the screen open and now that you have the most convenient hotels in your hands, make sure you take a quick look at the characteristics of the neighborhoods that make up the city center to find the one that best suits your preferences and needs (leave the offers page open and compare the areas with the structures you have found).
1: Duomo and Signoria: stay in the heart of Florence
If your budget or the season allow it, this is undoubtedly the best area to stay in Florence, with a single disadvantage: access to the neighborhood is forbidden to cars.
This means that you will have to leave it in one of the car parks or garages located around the Santa Maria Novella train station.
To the cost of the accommodation you will therefore also have to add the daily cost of parking, certainly not to be underestimated.
Staying here, however, you won’t have the slightest doubt that you have chosen the best area to stay in Florence: here are the Florence Cathedral (Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore), Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Baptistery, the Palazzo Vecchio and every other attraction will be easily reached on foot.
Well, obviously, not to mention that you could enjoy wonderful views of the domes even from the window of your room!
Places to stay in central Florence:
- B&B Al Campanile (from € 128) : this apartment just 20 meters from Piazza del Duomo offers accommodation suitable for every type of need: two-room apartments perfect for those traveling as a couple, four-room apartments for families and apartments that can accommodate up to 6 adults for large groups.
- B&B La Terrazza Sul Duomo (from € 147) : a bed & breakfast in a truly noteworthy position and with a still spectacular view (it is no coincidence that the position has earned an extraordinary score of 9.9 out of 10).The terrace, which offers a unique view of the Duomo and Giotto’s bell tower, is the strong point of the structure.
- Hotel Calimala (from € 154) : located a short distance from Piazza della Signoria, this 4-star hotel is perfect for those who want to enjoy all the services of a hotel (reception open 24/24 h, restaurant, fitness center and bar) , but stay in the heart of Florence.
2: Santa Maria Novella (recommended): where to stay to save money
In addition to having no reason to advise against staying in this area, it must be said that this neighborhood is really practical for those who want to visit Florence.
Perfect for those who reach it by plane or train, considering that the Santa Maria Novella station is located right here, but also by car, given its proximity to the main remittances of the city.
The main attractions of the district are the Piazza and the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella.
The neighboring district of San Lorenzo is also excellent for staying in Florence while saving money, where the central market is located.
From these two districts, the heart of the city can be reached in 10 minutes on foot, so in my opinion they represent the best area to stay in Florence for those aiming for practicality.
Where to stay in Florence to save money:
- Ostello Bello (from €82) : this hostel is located just 200 meters from the central market of Florence and a short distance from the train station.It’s the perfect accommodation for those who want to spend time in company or are on a budget: consider that here you can find a bed in a dormitory starting from €35 (not bad being 10 minutes from Piazza del Duomo!).
- Your Florence (from €98) : located in the heart of Santa Maria Novella and just 300 meters from the Baptistery of San Giovanni, this bed & breakfast deserves you to take a look at availability.It offers double rooms and larger suites, perfect for every type of need.
- Locanda dei Poeti (from € 124) : located in the San Lorenzo district, this property offers carefully furnished rooms and apartments, as well as a shared kitchen.However, in the area you will find some of the best restaurants in Florence.
Have you already found the perfect accommodation to stay in Florence? Optimal! Then you might also be interested in finding out what to see in Florence in 2 days.
3: Santa Croce: stay in an authentic neighbourhood
If you are looking for a place to be both in a good position to visit Florence and to enjoy time in total carefree, Santa Croce is the right neighborhood for you.
The best known attraction is the Basilica of Santa Croce, inside which there are not only frescoes and works of art by the most influential artists of the city, but also the burial places of Michelangelo, Galileo and other famous people.
The neighborhood is medieval in style and full of places to enjoy a Tuscan aperitif in total relaxation, especially near Piazza Sant’Ambrogio.
To buy leather goods, via San Giuseppe will be able to satisfy you.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and the attractions of the historic center are about 1 km away, reachable with a very pleasant walk.
Where to stay in Florence in the Santa Croce area:
- Apartments Puccini (from € 73) : if you are looking for an apartment to stay in Florence with family, friends or as a couple, Apartments Puccini will be able to satisfy your request.The apartments are simple and well-kept and offer everything you need to make you feel right at home.
- Locanda De’ Ciompi (from € 93) : a beautiful guest house, furnished with great attention to detail, located inside a 17th century building.Here it will be truly a pleasure to spend some time breathing in the Florentine style. The Duomo can be reached in 6 minutes on foot.
- B&B San Remigio (from € 94) : a bed & breakfast in perfect Tuscan style, with attention to the smallest details.The property is perfect for those traveling as a couple and is located just a 5-minute walk from Piazza della Signoria.
4: San Niccolò and San Miniato al Monte: where to stay to enjoy beautiful views of Florence
If you’ve already taken a look at this guide of what to see in Florence in two days (you really haven’t yet?), you should have already discovered that the best place to admire the sunset is Michelangelo’s Piazzale.
Located across the bank of the Arno River from the city centre.
The good news is that if you choose a structure with a view in the districts of San Niccolò or San Miniato al Monte, you will be able to enjoy these views directly from your hotel room.
Obviously the convenience of getting around will suffer a bit, but if what you are looking for is a super romantic place to stay in Florence, you should look no further.
Accommodations to stay in Florence with a view:
- FuordArno (from €158) : a bed & breakfast just 400 meters from Palazzo Vecchio.Some rooms offer a view of the Arno River or the city.Here you can choose between queen, double or single rooms with private bathroom, all with breakfast included.
- Mamo Florence (from € 173) : a charming apartment just 300 meters from Piazzale Michelangelo where you can enjoy a wonderful view of Florence.The structure is suitable for couples, but above all for families, as it can accommodate up to 4 adults.It is also furnished in a rustic Florentine style.
- Fornace Suite (from € 255) : a high-level design structure, located in a strategic position to allow the rooms facing the city to enjoy sensational views of the profile of Florence and its domes.On site you can rent bicycles to shorten the distances of the main attractions (in any case within walking distance with a pleasant walk).
FAQ: Questions with answers
1: Where to stay in Florence by car?
If you reach Florence by car you will have to leave it in one of the paid remittances near the Santa Maria Novella railway station.
If you want maximum practicality or have bulky suitcases, look for your accommodation in this neighborhood.
2: Which are the best apartments in Florence to stay in?
Al Campanile is the structure that offers the best apartments you could wish for in Florence, thanks to its strategic position on Piazza del Duomo.
Alternatively, evaluate the Locanda dei Poeti in the San Lorenzo district or the Apartments Puccini in the Santa Croce area.
3: How to stay in Florence on a budget?
The really interesting thing about the Tuscan capital is that the selection of structures in the center is really wide.
If you want to save money, my advice is to stay in the Santa Maria Novella or San Lorenzo area, where the Ostello Bello is also located where you can find a bed in a dormitory starting from €32.
One of the best ways to find offers for your stay is to connect to this page and insert the dates of your interest, booking as soon as possible so as not to miss an opportunity.
With this article I really hope I have been able to help you find not only the area, but also the best accommodation for you in Florence.
Remember to use the offers page and book as soon as possible, so you don’t miss out on the best prices.
Should you have any other doubts or questions, do not hesitate to leave your comment at the end of the article and I will help you find an answer.