To roam the Big Apple all the way, the New York subway is the fastest and most economical way. But is it safe?
Stay alert but not paranoid!
- Obviously zero risk does not exist, in New York as in all major cities in the world, and I can not tell you that you can take the subway with your most beautiful jewelry around the neck, your iPhone on the seat and without ever looking around you.
- My advice: do not try pickpockets and keep an eye on your things, your camera, your smartphone. Finally, take the subway to New York exactly as you take public transportation to your home. And you will see that the New York subway is very quiet, at any time of day and night.
Is the New York subway safe at night?
- The New York subway operates 24 hours a day and you will not have any problem at night! Moreover, you will soon find that you are not alone to take the subway.
- Moreover, as a tourist, you will necessarily take the main lines of the New York network and you will stay in the most peaceful neighborhoods of New York. Except to go for adventure at 3am at the terminus of the line L in Queens, you will stay in places always well signposted and with people.
- However, if you are a single woman and you are not too reassured, go ahead and get into the leading car, where the driver is. But, honestly, cases of metro aggression in Manhattan remain rare. You can really take the metro quietly, night and day!
Security has been greatly enhanced
- Moreover, you should know that, in recent years, the New York City Hall has seriously improved the safety of the subway compared to what it was in the 80s and 90s. video surveillance in the metro and, above all, you will regularly meet police at the entrance of the stations. In Times Square or Union Square, there is even a mini-police station in the resort!
- Do not hesitate to approach New Yorkers in case of problems: there is a real solidarity between users. New Yorkers are always ready to help.
Comparative between New York and Paris
- Finally, to finish reassuring you completely, here are some figures to give you an element of comparison between the New York subway and the Paris metro. In Paris, there were 56,887 robberies and assaults on the metro in 2016, according to the statistics of crime prepared by the Ministry of the Interior, more than 150 incidents per day.
- In New York, the New York police counted less than 4,300 incidents (theft, physical assault, murder or rape) in the subway in 2015, nearly 12 incidents per day. The comparison with Paris is certainly not obvious because each country has its classifications for aggression but it still gives an idea. Above all, the trend is clearly downward in New York: the total number of assaults in 1990 was nearly 17,500, four times more than today! The security policy of the New York City Hall has paid off.
- Again: take the metro by staying alert and you will have no problem in New York. 🙂
New York Crime Rate 2018 – Is New York City Safe?